LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
kapslock
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
how to install

i have to install libssl-dev_0.9.6c-2.woody.6_i386.deb

how would i do it and in what directory in debian woody
thanks

Old 07-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #2
sterrenkijker

Distribution: Debian Sarge

Rep: Reputation: 31
this is a debian package: if you give a command to install, it will automatically put all files in the right directory.

If you have the program synaptic installed, it's easiest to do it with that program. I can't tell you exactly how, because I'm using a far newer version for synaptic... (I'm using Debian sarge)

another program is aptitude...

from the command line, you must get root privileges (type su, enter your rootpassword). You can try

dpkg -i libssl-dev_0.9.6c-2.woody.6_i386.deb

but I think you'll get some errors about dependencies. You can download the dependencies by hand, but far easier is using apt-get. Type:

apt-get install libssl-dev_0.9.6c-2.woody.6

and the program apt-get will automatically download and install all necessary dependencies (synaptic and aptitude are actually just front-ends to apt-get)

I hope you were looking for such an answer. New to Debian?

Greetings,

Corien

Old 07-11-2004, 10:39 AM   #3
Dead Parrot

Distribution: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
apt-get install libssl-dev_0.9.6c-2.woody.6
"apt-get install libssl-dev" will be enough.

But before using apt-get (or Aptitude or Synaptic) you need to make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list is OK. If unsure, use (as root) "apt-setup" to setup the sources.list.

Old 07-11-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
kapslock
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Yeah thatz my first day with debian so trying to make things work here.
when i used apt-get
gives me the error E: couldn't find ......

though when i do ls -al it shows me the given package that i am trying to install.

thanks for your prompt replies.

Also i was thinking to install a package that would let me vnc into windows boxes here on the network
from my debian box.
any pointers.
thanks in advance

Old 07-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
kapslock
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
when i do
apt-get install libssl-dev_0

i get the follwoing error

Wuplicate source list entry ftp://ftp.us.debain.org stable/main packages (

any guesses...i know this is something basic to bother this list with but i am new...is their a proper source list or url i need to specify there??

Old 07-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #6
Dead Parrot

Distribution: Debian GNU/kFreeBSD

Rep: Reputation: 46
Do (as root) "nano /etc/apt/sources.list" and comment out or remove the duplicate list entry.

Oh, I forgot to say in the earlier post that you also need a working network connection before downloading and installing packages with apt-get. If the network connection is OK, just remove the duplicate entry from sources.list and apt-get should be ready to do its magic.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:17 PM   #7
sterrenkijker

Distribution: Debian Sarge

Rep: Reputation: 31
You're confusing things .

ls -al shows the packages in the current directory. dpkg is a stupid program (ie does not think for you): it won't find dependencies automatically, not even if they are in your current directory. You could try some thing like dpkg -i package1.deb package2.deb package3.deb

apt-get is another thing: it DOWNLOADS automatically the necessary package from the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list. apt-get (or a front-end to apt-get) is the recommended and usual way of installing.

Succes