LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General > LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories
User Name
Password
LinuxQuestions.org Member Success Stories Just spent four hours configuring your favorite program? Just figured out a Linux problem that has been stumping you for months?
Post your Linux Success Stories here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
teacup

Distribution: Slackware Debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
easy entry of international characters

I got tired of using the character map to enter non-english characters such as ñ, á, and ô. I used kxkb to change my keyboard config to us_intl. I decided to use two keyboard layouts because having to type ' twice everytime is annoying. The normal us english keyboard layout did not work correctly (perhaps because of the default variant). I could not use my alt keys. I found this in the documentation for kxkb:

Quote:
xkb Files and Layouts

All available keyboard layouts are described in /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst (and /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml since XFree86 4.3.0), the layouts themselves can be found in /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc (or /etc/X11/xkb/symbols for XFree86 4.2.x and older). Note that the location of these files may differ depending on your operating system and distribution.

Kxkb now uses the xkb extension instead of xmodmap, so to define your own layout you have to get one from /etc/X11/xkb/symbols which is closest to what you want to get (or /etc/X11/xkb/symbold/pc for XFree86 4.3.0), rename it to something you like and edit it. Then just add the name to /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst (and for XFree86 4.3.0 or later it is a good idea to add the name also to /etc/X11/xkb/ruls/xfree86.xml - some packages already use it, not Kxkb though yet) kxkb will pick it up on restart. Note: you have to be root to edit those files.
I eventually solved the problem by making my own layout for normal use based upon the us one but without the international section. Now I can easily swith between the two layouts with alt + f8.

Old 07-02-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
LinuxLala

Distribution: Fedora 7

Rep: Reputation: 45
Smart thing to do man

I thought that i too wopuld have to make my own layout under FC2, but my layout was present alreaady. I just insatlled KKBSwitch(http://kkbswitch.sourceforge.net/) and a font for my language and now everything is cool.