LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
mishmash

Distribution: RHEL

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to config NetGear MA101 in Mandrake 9.2 ???

Hi,

Can anyone help me configuring the NetGear MA101 (Rev. B) WiFi USB adapter within the Mandrake 9.2 linux distribution?

I did some research on this forum. There are many links available, but none contain the complete information I am looking for in order to configure this WiFi USB adapter.

I know about the www.linux-wlan.com web site. However, do I need to download and compile the linux-wlan-ng project (ver. 0.2.1.pre16)? Is there a RPM already available with Mandrake 9.2? I think there is one on the third installation cd: it is the 0.2.1.0.pre11 version. Which one should I use?

Then, how do you configure the whole thing? I know about the configuration files in /etc/wlan. But what else exactly?

If somebody has installed and configured the MA101 WiFi USB adapter on Mandrake 9.2, is it possible to have the full installation/configiguration steps listed out in this thread? This would be beneficial for all mandrake linux users.

Note: Please forgive me if I am a bit demanding about the steps, but I do think that once done, everybody could then refer to them via a simple search.

Old 01-29-2004, 07:37 PM   #2
Micro420

Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4

Rep: Reputation: 45
I have the same model MA101 and I am using Mandrake 9.1 I just plugged it in, booted up, Mandrake rebooted, and everything worked fine. I don't trust Mandrake 9.2 as I personally ran into many problems with it. But for sure, it worked fine and dandy for me with Mandrake 9.1

Old 01-30-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
mishmash

Original Poster
Hi,

After browsing the net, I resolved the problem myself.

Here are some facts:

1. The Netgear MA101 WiFi USB adapter comes in two flavors: the original one based on the Intersil firmware and the new Rev. B based on the RFMD firmware. If you bought your MA101 adapter recently (let's say up to one year ago), you probably have the new Rev. B (check the label on the back of the adapter to validate).

2. If you check on the net, you will find (at the very least) three interesting web sites:

a) The Linux-Wlan-Ng Driver project

http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan

Mandrake 9.2 has the RPM for this driver on the 3rd CD of the Download Edition. Just do a search in Mandrake's Install Software tool with the keyword "prism" and/or "wlan-ng". However, this driver do not support the RFMD firmware (i.e. the new Rev. B adapter), at least not with the latest version of the driver. I do not recommend using this driver.

b) The Atmel Wlan Driver project:

http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/downloads.html

This is based on the source code provided by Atmel. Atmel is the provider of the RFMD firmware. The latest version of this driver do not support the Intersil firmware (i.e. the original adapter). Also, you need to compile the source code. It is not very complexe to do but you need to make sure that the associated makefile points to the correct kernel source directory by using a symbolic link. I do not recommend using this driver.

c) The BerliOS' AT76C503A Atmel-Based Driver project:

http://at76c503a.berlios.de/#why

Mandrake 9.2 already has this driver (source files and compiled .o lib). Typically, if you plug in your MA101 adapter and reboot, your device will be recognized by Mandrake. However, it is not enough. You need to perform some additional tasks (see below). This driver supports both the Intersil and RFMD firmwares (this is nice...). I recommend using this driver.

The following link provides all the information you need to complete the installation of the MA101 adapter with the BerliOS' AT76C503A Atmel-Based driver:

http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/atmel_92.html

As you will find out in the above link, you need to take special care of the following:

- Install the Wireless RPM so that you can access the iwconfig command. Just do a search in Mandrake's Install Software tool with the keyword "wireless-tools".

- Do not bother about the possibility of having the berlios and the atmel wlan drivers at the same time. By default, it should not be a problem. However, check anyway just in case...

- You need to create the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 file as indicated.

- You need to modify the /etc/sysconfig/network file by adding the GATEWAYDEV and GATEWAY lines as indicated.

That's it! I hope this "very long" thread will help.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:03 AM   #4
Micro420

Distribution: Mac OS X Leopard 10.6.2, Windows 2003 Server/Vista/7/XP/2000/NT/98, Ubuntux64, CentOS4.8/5.4

Rep: Reputation: 45
Good job with the research. I'm sure it'll come in handy for others.

Old 03-12-2004, 04:45 AM   #5
samatman
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
i've done all that, but i can't get internet access yet. i can see the access point (a netgear mr814 v1 router) i can ping the router, i can even access the routers setup webpage, but i can't ping the other computer on the network and i can't access any internet sites.
i set up the ifcfg-wlan0, including the ESSID of the network here, the ip adress of the usb adapter on the linux box, default gateway etc...
but it still wont' do anything but recognize the router.
any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2004, 05:04 AM   #6
samatman
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.2

never mind, got it working...typed dhclient and that seemed to do it

Old 03-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #7
mishmash

Original Poster
Hi,

Glad it finally works for you!

Of course, when I did all of this, I already had a system working with a direct connect to one of the MR814 router's lan port. I just unplugged that connection and installed the MA101... At that point it was not working anymore, so I searched and found the above solution...

Old 04-03-2004, 07:16 AM   #8
tgkspike
LQ Newbie

Is there a way to get the ma101 rev. B into Monitor Mode? If so, how?

Last edited by tgkspike; 04-03-2004 at 07:28 AM.