LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2003, 05:06 PM   #1
bratwurst

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1/9.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
Why Linux is failing, and will, against Windows

I set up a simple system to host as a linux box to play around with. I decided to use a wireless network, and bought a Linksys "WMP11" card.

Then it all fell apart.

I'm using Mandrake 9.2, and it spews when trying to configure the card. It DOES "offer me" the option to submit the IRQ and ADDRESS of the card, but there is NO way to determine what that is: a google search simply tells me that people who use linux assume "everyone" knows all about linux, and give no information about how to solve this problem. The Linux install process offers zero help; actually, it's confusing and contrary to helping people solve what is a simple problem.

Bottom line: Linux, as it it currently supported and delivered will continue to fail on the consumer desktop because it's written by men who think everyone knows what "main()" is, and "should" be able to compile a kernel. My mom can't. My wife can't. Most of my coworkers can't.

Linux is, and has always, been failing, and it's because the people who distribute it assume they're all 18 year old kids who have nothing better to do with their time than tinker with it.

That's not how the real-world works. And Linux, despite it's good attributes, will die, in my opinion, simply because of this. I just want to configure my network card, but after 5 hours of trying, realize Linux won't let me do that. Windows set it up in a snap.

Bratwurst

Last edited by bratwurst; 12-14-2003 at 05:08 PM.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:09 PM   #2
randomblast

Distribution: Gentoo/SuSE 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
rubbish, there are just no drivers for your card
and i happen to be a _14_ year old kid with nothing better to do than tinker with it

Old 12-14-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
Re: Why Linux is failing, and will, against Windows

Quote:
Originally posted by bratwurst
Linux is, and has always, been failing, and it's because the people who distribute it assume they're all 18 year old kids who have nothing better to do with their time than tinker with it.

That's not how the real-world works. And Linux, despite it's good attributes, will die, in my opinion, simply because of this. I just want to configure my network card, but after 5 hours of trying, realize Linux won't let me do that. Windows set it up in a snap.

Bratwurst
And yet another troll (bratwurst) ...

It's not Linux' fault that you decide on piece of
hardware that Mandreck doesn't support out of
the box. It's your choice, you could have looked
first, and then bought the card.

And the documentation that I've seen on that card's
installation by searching here on LQ looks easy enough
even for a non-techie.

Cheers,
Tink

Old 12-14-2003, 05:28 PM   #4
bratwurst

Original Poster
Re: Re: Why Linux is failing, and will, against Windows

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinkster
And yet another troll (bratwurst) ...

It's not Linux' fault that you decide on piece of
hardware that Mandreck doesn't support out of
the box. It's your choice, you could have looked
first, and then bought the card.

And the documentation that I've seen on that card's
installation by searching here on LQ looks easy enough
even for a non-techie.

Tink
I'm not a "troll". I'm just terribly frustrated by the lack of any ability to make this standard card work.

It IS Linux's fault that it doesn't support a piece of hardware that's been around for almost two years. And I think you support my argument that Linux is a hacker-tool only by saying "I" should have investigated whether this card would work under Linux. Like I said, I ran Win2K and it set this card up in a snap. Linux doesn't. So, what's the problem? Not Windows, Linux is. (And I'm not "fan" of Windows, but it simply "works," whereas Linux just doesn't).

Further you say this card should be easy to set up, even for a "non-techie," and you use the term "LQ" which means nothing to me, nor to almost everyone. Again, it's more support for my view that Linux is a corner-case OS for people who can spend their time toying with their system instead of using it. 99.9% of the world just wants to USE their system. Linux, again, fails terribly in that.

Brats

Last edited by bratwurst; 12-14-2003 at 05:41 PM.

Old 12-14-2003, 05:35 PM   #5
bratwurst

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by randomblast
rubbish, there are just no drivers for your card
and i happen to be a _14_ year old kid with nothing better to do than tinker with it
Actually, the "Orenco" (spelled badly, sorry) drivers are supposed to work, but Linux complains and asks for the IRQ and device address, which are, as far as I can see, impossible to find. So that's the dilemma, Linux can't find the card and then asks for information without helping the user. I tried "dmesg," but the card didn't show up, and I'm lost beyond that.

As I said, Windows simply accepted the card. Linux won't, and asks me for information I can't give ("IRQ") without help.

Windows wins, Linux coughs and falls down miserably.

Brats

Old 12-14-2003, 05:39 PM   #6
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
LQ = LinuxQuestions, the forum you're just
now ranting on. Welcome btw ;)

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...002/09/4/30778

Quote:
99.9% of the world just wants to USE their system. Linux, again, fails terribly in that.
Blah. It failed you in this one case. It never failed me.
Microsleuth products on the other hand have failed
me on every single computer I've ever owned, and
I'm more than 20 years olde than you're "hacker kid",
and I've had quite a few PC machines since 88.

Cheers,
Tink

Old 12-14-2003, 06:01 PM   #7
slackhappy

Distribution: RH 7.3 - 9, Slackware 9.1

And might I ask how much you paid for linux?

Either you like linux or you don't. Nobody here can make you.

Remember opinions are like ass holes....everybody's got one!

Old 12-14-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
Skyline

Distribution: Debian/other

Rep: Reputation: 45
Quote:
I'm not a "troll"
Nah ...... you've gave us ample evidence in your first few posts ........ this forum section is primarily aimed at new Linux users and any questions that they have - you've clearly took several opportunities to deride Desktop Linux, whilst adding little that's constructive - if this trolling continues, the thread gets reported for closure.........

Old 12-14-2003, 06:13 PM   #9
mymojo

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Why did you post this? Do you want help setting it up? If so, that's a funny (as in stupid) way of asking...

Old 12-14-2003, 06:14 PM   #10
qwijibow
LQ Guru

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 47
Some people just cant be pleased...

i bet Windows did not support the network card out of the box either ?
i bet you had to use the install cd to install a driver.

and NO, windows did not set it up in a snap, the network cards software did it.
its the networks card for not giving you instructions, and the network card companys fault for not supplying a linux driver, or setup software.

what you said in your first post, is like blaming your petrol engine BMW for not working because the gas station down the road only sells Diesel.

linux supported ALL my hardware out of the box... after installing windows, you need to install everything from seperate disks..... printer, sound, graphics, scanner, camera, eerything !

ALSO.... you say most people dont know how to compile a kernel.... compiling kernels is an added luxury that isnt available in windows.. if u dont know how to do it, then dont do it.... thats like syaing (gotta love the similies).. anyway, thats like saying that life is much easyer when you are homeless and living on the streets because atleast u will never have the opertunity to go to university and study rocket science....

anyway..... what drivers have you downloaded and attempted to work with your hardware ? what were the error messages ????

Old 12-14-2003, 06:34 PM   #11
ChasidishHarry

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1

oh, dear...

Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM   #12
bratwurst

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Skyline
Nah ...... you've gave us ample evidence in your first few posts ........ this forum section is primarily aimed at new Linux users and any questions that they have - you've clearly took several opportunities to deride Desktop Linux, whilst adding little that's constructive - if this trolling continues, the thread gets reported for closure.........
Why so hostile? I'm just reporting, and hoping for an answer to a very real problem. But, Linux isn't availing itself very well to solving this problem, and again, I'm just reporting that. Do you disagree or have an answer to this? Or do you just want me to stop "whining" and move on...?

Brats

Old 12-14-2003, 06:46 PM   #13
Tesl

Distribution: Slackware 9, Mandrake 9.1

in reading your posts my thoughts were clearly along the same lines as qwijibow's, because he said everything i wanted to say.

By the way, as for Linux has always been failing, thats utter rubbish. More people use it today than anybody ever has in the past, and that figure has been dramatically improving for a good while now. Im not saying Linux will definitely succeed (although i dont know how to judge its success) but saying it has always been failing is garbage.

The problem you have pointed out has nothing to do with faults in 'Linux' itself, just the availability of the drivers for that network card. Linux is still growing, still learning, and still improving. It is new on the scene in comparison to the others out there, and not everyone believes its ready for prime time yet.

Old 12-14-2003, 07:00 PM   #14
bratwurst

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by qwijibow
Some people just cant be pleased...

i bet Windows did not support the network card out of the box either ?
i bet you had to use the install cd to install a driver.

Nope, a clean install of Windows 2000 recognized and used the card without trouble.

Quote:
and NO, windows did not set it up in a snap, the network cards software did it.
Nope, Win2K knew the card "out of the box". Don't make assumptions that I didn't say. Or that you "want" to be true, but aren't. The network card's install CD is still in it's package. And yes, it doesn't include Linux drivers.

Quote:
its the networks card for not giving you instructions, and the network card companys fault for not supplying a linux driver, or setup software.
Then why did Win2K recognize and support the card, whilst Linux is simply UNABLE to support it? I don't mind working at it, but the Linux distro I'm using is actually hostile toward making this work ("Provide the IRQ and Address of the product". With NO mention of HOW to "provide the IRQ and address". THAT'S hostile).

Quote:
linux supported ALL my hardware out of the box... after installing windows, you need to install everything from seperate disks..... printer, sound, graphics, scanner, camera, eerything !
Good for you. But the reason for my post is that is NOT my case. And I can't resolve it. Can you offer help, or just tell me that your install worked, and apparently, "mine should." It didn't. So, can you help or not?

Quote:
anyway..... what drivers have you downloaded and attempted to work with your hardware ? what were the error messages ????
The error messages were, and are, that the "driver failed to load, do you want to load with other parameters?" I don't have a clue what parameters to add (e.g., how do I find the IRQ or Address of the card? I don't know, and haven't been able to find it on a google search. "dmesg" shows nothing). So, I have a card that fails to be recognized, and I'm left with no help-options to reconcile it.

Any help you can offer? I'd love to hear it. I want this to work, I really do.

Brats

Old 12-14-2003, 07:12 PM   #15
bratwurst

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally posted by Tesl
in reading your posts my thoughts were clearly along the same lines as qwijibow's, because he said everything i wanted to say.

By the way, as for Linux has always been failing, thats utter rubbish. More people use it today than anybody ever has in the past, and that figure has been dramatically improving for a good while now. Im not saying Linux will definitely succeed (although i dont know how to judge its success) but saying it has always been failing is garbage.

The problem you have pointed out has nothing to do with faults in 'Linux' itself, just the availability of the drivers for that network card. Linux is still growing, still learning, and still improving. It is new on the scene in comparison to the others out there, and not everyone believes its ready for prime time yet.
Well said. I paid "nothing" for this Linux distro, and aside from the LAN card problem, it's working wonderfully (back in '93 I spent a LOT of time compiling kernels to work with a Thinkpad laptop I had, I'm not totally new to this, but just "stuck" on this new problem). Linux has been "growing" for a long time. Too long, in my mind; 10+ years is, and should be "enough".

But... the problem IS with Linux. I'm simply unable to configure this card, and others I've found have been able to. There ARE drivers for this card, but Linux is asking me questions I can't answer ("IRQ" and "address" of the card). How do I find these? Can anybody help me with this simple question, or do you want to rail me for pointing out a true problem with a simple setup? It's easier to flame, but can you give me a solution to my problem? I'd love that, I really want to make this setup work.

Brats