LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
platinum_05
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 0
monitor problem

i am installing slack for the first time and i got everything installed smoothy, after the install is a bit of a problem. it boots everything ok then after startx i get a screen of vertical color lines of blue, red, and green. a bit confused how to fix? is there something i am missing, anybody else have this problem ever?

thx plat

Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
glennardo

Distribution: Slackware 13.37

Rep: Reputation: 15
Re: monitor problem

Quote:
Originally posted by platinum_05
i am installing slack for the first time and i got everything installed smoothy, after the install is a bit of a problem. it boots everything ok then after startx i get a screen of vertical color lines of blue, red, and green. a bit confused how to fix? is there something i am missing, anybody else have this problem ever?

thx plat
Did Xserver set-up properly ??

try #xfree86setup

Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #3
platinum_05
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
i tried that command it didn't do anything. could it maybe the type(not the version) of kernel i am installing?, i have tried 2 or 3 different types now and they do the same thing. there are no configurations for xfree just configurations for installing the different types of kernels. i had mandrake installed with absolutely no problems like this.

Old 10-28-2003, 02:20 AM   #4
glennardo

Distribution: Slackware 13.37

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally posted by platinum_05
i tried that command it didn't do anything. could it maybe the type(not the version) of kernel i am installing?, i have tried 2 or 3 different types now and they do the same thing. there are no configurations for xfree just configurations for installing the different types of kernels. i had mandrake installed with absolutely no problems like this.
I don't think that type of kernel will cause this. If you can use it with Mandrake so you're monitor is fine and it can work with other distribution also. Mandrake and Redhat or else will probe you're monitor at post installation but not with Slack.

You won't find any X configuration at post installation. U can configure the Xserver at the command line after u reboot and all the installation process is done. Okay assuming that u're already at prompt and logged in as root...... now you can configure the Xserver by typing :

again type :
#xf86config

Now. u can step by step configure the Xsever...let's begin with mouse :

1. Configuring the mouse
- Select the protocol
- Emulate 3 buttons ????
- device name ----->>> hit enter will use the default /dev/moue

2. Keyboard types
when you're asked to select additional XKB option say " n "

3. Monitor.
Before continue please read the monitor documentation first !!!! look for the HorizSync and VertRefresh, write it down !!
For example : HorizSync 30.0 - 71.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
and then as you see on screen that there's predefined ranges.
enter your choice ( 1 - 11 ) I suggest you type 11 so you can specify the HorizSync manually and the choose 5 for VertRefresh. Conitnue with typing your monitor definition.

4. Configure your Video Card
type " y " to look at the card database, enter the number ( left side ) which match your video card. Enter the definiton again.

5. Modes
Now before continue, you must decide which resolution u want to choose, be sure or u'll repeat all these !! and please ( 1000x) read all instructions on screen carefully. I suggest you change all 3 modes. If u decide or choose no. 4 ( modes are ok, continue ) the X will use the maximum resolution of the monitor and video card and will cause the frequency is too low ( i.e 60 Hz ). So change the first mode ( 8 bit ) and continue until 3rd ( 24 bit )mode.
Say no or don't use virtual screen ( i suggest )

and then you must enter the amount of your video card ram , and say " y " to write down all the configuration.

It's time for you to try........hope it helps !!

Old 10-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
platinum_05
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
well i got everything up and runnin good now, thanks for the help. it helped BIG TIME!

lata plat