LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Marc82
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
non-editable .html files in ubuntu shared map

Hey All,

i am having a very weird problem with one of my ubuntu shared maps (/home/marc/shared).

I am using VMware. Windows 7 host. Ubuntu 9.10 Guest.
By right clicking the shared folder (/home/marc/shared) and selecting "Sharing options" i have installed the samba software needed. The installation went fine and samba seems all good.
The folder should have read write access.
When using windows 7 to browse the network the shared ubuntu folder appears nicely. I use my root credentials to login wich works nicely too.

Now the following strange thing happens:

When i create a file e.g. test.php, i can edit it delete it. Actually i can do whatever i want.

When i create a file e.g. test.html (mind the .html extension), for some reason i can read it, delete it, but not edit it! Windows gives me somekind of message like "Please check whether if this file is opened by another program".
How on earth is this possible? I never opened or used the .html file in another application so i guess it has something to do with write access credentials. Which is weird since i am able to delete the file?

When i check ls -al in the /home/marc/shared directory i see:

root@ubuntu:~# cd /home/marc/shared
root@ubuntu:/home/marc/shared# ls -al
total 12
drwxrwxrwx 2 marc marc 4096 2010-02-11 02:27 .
drwxr-xr-x 28 marc marc 4096 2010-02-11 02:12 ..
-rwxr--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 0 2010-02-11 02:27 test.html
-rwxr--r-- 1 nobody nogroup 21 2010-02-11 02:50 test.php

anybody who can help me out with this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Marc

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Marc82
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Ok peepz... realy stupid solution.
Windows 7 is making for some files (not all) a preview on the right side of the explorer window (not IE explorer but the windows explorer).
For .php files there is ofc not much of a preview to show. For .html files it shows a preview of the page.
This preview stuff keeps the file occupied while editing and thus impossible to save.
Disabeling this preview window fixes the whole problem.

Greetz Marc