LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-28-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
amat_endura
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Can't install higher than 7.04; problem with EIDE/ SATA??

Hello all,

I've got a really weird problem. I was trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 as a dual boot with Windows 7 RC. The idea was that I had W7 as a back up while I learned Ubuntu, then when the licence ran out I would just use 9.04. However while I could run off the live cd, 9.04 would never install properly. I have a WD EIDE 120 gb hard drive as my boot drive, and an 80gb Maxtor SATA as a second drive. However the installer always seemed to prefer the SATA drive.

I tried to install 9.04 alone, and I just got a fail to load boot message. I put in a 7.04 disc I had and it went in fine, found the 120gb eide and installed without a hitch (except that there was no support for my generic wireless adaptor!). I then tried putting in 8.10 and the same problem - message 22 fail to boot.

I'm convinced that the way I have my hard drives set up is the problem. I want to install Ubuntu on the eide as all my data is backed up on the SATA and I don't understand why I cant do this. If push comes to shove however I can always use the SATA as I can backup the data to an external drive if need be.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Paul.

Home brew PC
AMD X2 4000+
2 gig ram
120 GB WD EIDE
80 GB Maxtor SATA
Sparkle Nvidia 8500 SLI 512 MB

Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121
Probably nothing wrong with the hardware or what you are doing. You're just using the wrong distro.
Ubuntu (and maybe all Debian and derivatives) seems to have a problem in the init-scripts in this sort of config. Using /dev/disk/by-id should work, but I just gave up when I had the problem ages ago - Arch worked, so I use that on the box that gave me the problem.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #3
amat_endura
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by syg00 View Post
Probably nothing wrong with the hardware or what you are doing. You're just using the wrong distro.
Ubuntu (and maybe all Debian and derivatives) seems to have a problem in the init-scripts in this sort of config. Using /dev/disk/by-id should work, but I just gave up when I had the problem ages ago - Arch worked, so I use that on the box that gave me the problem.
So where exactly do I enter that line?

(/dev/disk/by-id)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121
My bad - ignore that. Jaunty uses UUID to specify the device in menu.lst
The problem is still in how the init scripts map the devices to device nodes - and how that disagrees with what the BIOS presents to grub at boot.
Like I said, I never bothered to find a solution.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Wim Sturkenboom

Distribution: Ubuntu 12.04, Antix19.3

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282
I understand from your opening post that Windows is on the IDE and Linux is fully installed on the SATA.

It might work if you can move the Linux boot partition to the IDE drive. You must create a little bit of space on the IDE drive (a 100 MB or so will do). I'm not sure if the Ubuntu installer can resize existing partitions without destroying data; if not, a liveCD with gparted can do it or you can reinstall windows and create the extra partition during that stage.

If you opt not to reinstall Windows, first defrag the windows partition(s).

Next install Linux and use the manual partitioner to tell the installer to use the extra partition as /boot. Also create a root partition, swap partition and a home partiton on the SATA drive and continue with the install.

Let us know if it works.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #6
amat_endura
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Windows is no longer on the IDE as I tried to do a full install, first of 9.04 (failed) then 7.04 (success), then 8.10 (failed). I'm going to try simply unplugging the SATA drive next, seeing if the install works on the IDE, and then plugging the SATA back in. I'll post the results!

Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
amat_endura
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi again,

Well I did what I said I would and unplugged the SATA drive. The install went without a hitch, I then reconnected SATA and rebooted. I was asked for my password and then it simply worked! I have no idea what was wrong, but now it is all ok. You can all look forward to even more posts from me about how to do things ;-)

Old 08-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
tredegar
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Fedora38

Rep: Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435Reputation: 435
Quote:
.... then it simply worked!
Congratulations
I hope you will grow to love your new OS.
Quote:
You can all look forward to even more posts from me about how to do things ;-)
We do, and Welcome to LQ!