LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
Sumitsm
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to give Domain Administrator privileges to Root user in Domain Controller

Hi,

I want to give Administrator privileges to Root user in Linux Domain Controller.

Regards,

Sumit S mujumdar

Old 08-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
lleb

Distribution: CentOS/Fedora/Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551Reputation: 551
no such thing as a linux domain controller. DCs are a Windows only invention and do not apply to linux unless you are talking Samba, then it is a Samba share not a DC.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Kenarkies

Distribution: Ubuntu 11.10

Rep: Reputation: 23
Sumitsm

I think we need you to be a bit more specific about your question. For Domain Controller you could mean a Samba PDC setup. In that case you need to add an entry to the smbusers file in the Samba directory to map root to Administrator (read up the documentation - I'm sure this is a standard example given by the Samba docs).

Or are you referring to the Fedora Directory server?

Ken

Old 08-17-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
axobeauvi

Rep: Reputation: 16
you could make a user.map for samba and alias root=Administrator and make the passwords match.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:39 AM   #5
engelienart

Distribution: Kubuntu, Debian

user.map? Where should I put this file? I had the same question, but I found another sollution: Dont give Domain Amdins root privileges

Still, it would be nice to know where to put the file. I usually find answers like yours Kenarkies and I always have to wonder where to put the file. (no offense)

Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
axobeauvi

you can add something like
username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/username.map
or in /etc and put the line into your smb.conf
and since you just add Administrator to smbpasswd it shouldn't hurt anything from the domain users, unless you completely join the box to the domain.
I don't (usually) when doing it this way.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
axobeauvi

here are some sites with good info..
http://www.commentcamarche.net/forum...62777-smb-conf
http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Administr...ts-in-Samba/1/

Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
engelienart

Thanx!

If I am not mistaken I should do the following:

In "/etc/samba/" I should create a "smbusers" file and add the line: "root=Administrator"

In the "smb.conf" add the line:

"username map = /etc/samba/smbusers"

Ok, thats the info was looking for

I still have one question You said:

and since you just add Administrator to smbpasswd it shouldn't hurt anything from the domain users, unless you completely join the box to the domain.

What do you mean with "completely join the box"?

Last edited by engelienart; 08-19-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: changed for Kenarkies

Old 08-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #9
Kenarkies

The smb.conf directive "username map" is the key. The Fedora standard installation has configuration files in /etc/samba, including smb.conf. There is an entry in that file:

username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

where the smbusers file has an entry like

root = administrator

You can put this file anywhere and give it any name of course. Check the manpage for smb.conf for more details. If you have Fedora you may already have this setup, but other distros may have a different setup and may not have "username map" configured, but you can add it.

Ken

Old 08-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #10
engelienart

Ah, ok. Thanx, I will edit my post

Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
axobeauvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by engelienart View Post
Thanx!

If I am not mistaken I should do the following:

In "/etc/samba/" I should create a "smbusers" file and add the line: "root=Administrator"

In the "smb.conf" add the line:

"username map = /etc/samba/smbusers"

Ok, thats the info was looking for

I still have one question You said:

What do you mean with "completely join the box"?

well, did you join the machine to your domain or just map the users you want to access it?
if you don't want other domain users to access it don't join it and just use the map to give access to those specific users.
just don't forget when you change the domainadmin's password in AD you go back in and change the smbpasswd

Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
engelienart

Quote:
Originally Posted by axobeauvi View Post
well, did you join the machine to your domain or just map the users you want to access it?
if you don't want other domain users to access it don't join it and just use the map to give access to those specific users.
just don't forget when you change the domainadmin's password in AD you go back in and change the smbpasswd
I have created a Windows NT 4.0 domain and not an AD. AD is harder to secure . . . And it requires more configration for extra features we will never use ( -> Me beeing lazy )

So the linux server is running samba, fakes Windows clients being a Windows NT 4.0 PDC. I dont know if this means that the server (box) is part of the domain. I guess so. . .
* Feeling dumb *

I will be on holiday for 3 weeks, so dont worry if I dont reply in the next 3 weeks

Thanx for your help and explinations. I have difficulties understanding complexe structures as Samba, because it tries to combine Windows and Linux. So you need to know the Windows routine and the Linux routine. The man files are still to difficult for me to understand. The Windows help files aren't helpfiles: they arent helpfull at all!

Or I should quit my job and start a new easy carreer as a rocketscientest

Old 08-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
Kenarkies

It is probably one of the more difficult aspects of setting up a network, and requires a bit of time and patience. The best place to go is to work through the Samba Official HOWTO http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/...TO-Collection/ if you haven't already. There are some parts that are a bit hard but it covers your case as a classic.

Ken