LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Sabayon
User Name
Password
Sabayon This forum is for the discussion of Sabayon Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Hemant69
LQ Newbie

Distribution: sabayon4

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Installed Sabayon 4 on my machine, it doesn't recognise the video card!

The moment my system boots to graphics mode it freezes !
Can some one suggest me to configure my machine to run the best graphic options.. such as compiz, beryl effects.

Hardware info : AMD Phenom quad core, ASUS M3A78-EM mother board with onboard ATI GPU and Discreet graphics card. 4GB ram.

Thank you.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #2
xlnagla
Sabayon Linux Team

Distribution: Sabayon

Rep: Reputation: 1
see if you can grab some logs - /var/log/Xorg.0.log generally contains all your X errors. Also, can you elaborate on exactly how the crash occurs? Do you see the x-session x cursor for a couple seconds and then have an X crash? Can you log in, but are then faced with a pure white screen? Or does X just not load at all?

Also, what specifically is your ati gpu?

~xlnagla

Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
Hemant69
LQ Newbie

Distribution: sabayon4

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlnagla View Post
see if you can grab some logs - /var/log/Xorg.0.log generally contains all your X errors. Also, can you elaborate on exactly how the crash occurs? Do you see the x-session x cursor for a couple seconds and then have an X crash? Can you log in, but are then faced with a pure white screen? Or does X just not load at all?

Also, what specifically is your ati gpu?

~xlnagla

Thank you for the quick response.
Before I could try checking the X errors with Sabayon, I tired with other distros like Ubuntu 9.04,Mandriva 2009 and fedora 8. Amd what I could see is in all the distros there is some or the other issue with the Graphics.
Let me explain about the issues that I encounted with regards to the Graphics:
- the 3D effects and the CUBE doesn't get enabled in all the Distros.
- sometimes X windows doesn't load at all, this happend in Ubuntu 9.04distro.
- For Mandriva the screen toggels/ flickers if I try to move the window
with the cursor. "This happens in windows OS when we donot load the graphics driver".
- after I boot up in mandriva the login window freezes and if i try to move the window it paints the wall with black color.

So I tried to check the Logs as suggested by you- and there is huge list.

the list mentioned about the monitor that I am using could not be detected.
And also about he Graphics card "-RADEONHD -XXXX XXXX" repeated 8-10 times.

Do I need to install any specific driver for the monitor and the graphics card ? If yes then please suggest me how to do it

I am using:
graphics hardware : RADEON HD 3200 graphice(onboard) thats what the Mandriva distro detected!

Monitor > SAMSUNG LCD 2033sw, (thats not in the list when i checked the
detect monitor option.)

Thank you.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
Thev00d00
Sabayon Linux Team

Rep: Reputation: 1
Try adding "noddc res=1024x768 refresh=60 opengl=ati" to the boot promt also see:

Check out http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.p...matic_Hardware