LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Security
User Name
Password
Linux - Security This forum is for all security related questions.
Questions, tips, system compromises, firewalls, etc. are all included here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #1
M$ISBS

Rep: Reputation: 30
Never before seen message?

Slack, kde 3.5

I booted up my system this morning and got a message I have never seen before during booting.

I dont remember the exact wording but it was something about reiser filesystem structure, then my system rebooted on its own with a message stating it would reboot.

I thought I could find the error messages in one of the logs but I dont see it anywhere.

I have found the exact time in the messages log file but the message does not show in the file.

What log file should this message be in?

Last edited by M$ISBS; 03-09-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
wsduvall

Rep: Reputation: 16
Sounds to me like it corrected an error in your file system. Often times, when you change the clock around, it thinks certain writes are in the future, or sometimes there is a slight error. It seems like it was corrected and there shouldn't be much to worry about. I'm not sure where that would be logged, it may be OS dependent, or it may not have been logged at all. Do you know if you syslog daemon was started at this point?

Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
M$ISBS

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Ive got a syslog file and it shows the current time and date but I dont see the message there either.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #4
wsduvall

Rep: Reputation: 16
Sorry, I suppose my previous post was a bit unclear . I'm pretty sure there was an error in your filesystem. This can happen when you move your clock around for DST for instance, because the FS sees writes that have occured 'in the future'. This can also happen for other reasons (your computer crashed, et cetera). This probably won't get logged in any system log (save for maybe a kernel log, but I'm not sure... the kernel logs can be a scary place) because your syslogger wasn't started when the error occurred (I'm fairly sure the FS is checked before any daemons are started). Regardless, there is no need to worry about this error. fsck fixed the error (which was why it rebooted), and unless you have any lost data or unmountable partitions, you can sleep easy.

Last edited by wsduvall; 03-09-2009 at 10:07 PM.