LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
grimlair
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
DSL, i can`t setup my dsl internet connection .

i finished installing PCLinuxOS last night the next problem i got is how to get my inetnet connection working, i have a Siemens SpeedStream 6520 and usb drivers that come with it doesn`t read in linux, i tried to set the connection manually but it didn`t work, can some one please tell me what to do ?
grimlair.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
GrueMaster

Distribution: Kubuntu.

Rep: Reputation: 30
Use one of the ethernet ports on the dsl modem. Not many dsl modems are supported in Linux via USB, but the ethernet ports are standardized.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
witz

Rep: Reputation: 16
Oh for the modem,
Just turn it on and plug it to your computer through a ethernet cable as GrueMaster
said.Just fire up the web browser interface like this : open up firefox and in the url bar
put in : 192.168.0.1 and setup what you need to get dialed up and you should be connected to the net.
I have the SpeedStream Model:4100 and I first set it up so it's connected to the net then I just connected my wireless
router to it and bam everything is working.No need to install anything.So really if the modem is already setup
and connected to the net, all you need to do is plug it in through a ethernet cable and run dhcpcd ethX.
Run ifconfig -a as root and find what your interface is called and run dhcpcd yourinterface and that's it.