LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
ejan

Distribution: Mandriva 2007, CentOS 5, Debian 4.0

Rep: Reputation: 15
Konqueror cannot Browse LAN When Firewall Is Enabled

Hi,

I am connected to a Windows based network and browse my network using Konqueror. It works very well. However, when I enable the builtin Mandriva Firewall, I can't browse the LAN. Konqueror fails to browse the LAN and throws this error message at me:

"Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall."

Disabling the firewall enables me to browse the LAN normally. I guess Konqueror is using some port for network browsing which I will need to open on the firewall. But which port it might be?

Any ideas on how to make things work while leaving the firewall enabled?

Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #2
cgjones

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 31
This is straight off the Samba website.
Quote:
Many people use a firewall to deny access to services they do not want exposed outside their network. This can be a good idea, although I recommend using it in conjunction with the above methods so you are protected even if your firewall is not active for some reason.

If you are setting up a firewall, you need to know what TCP and UDP ports to allow and block. Samba uses the following:
Port 135/TCP - used by smbd
Port 137/UDP - used by nmbd
Port 138/UDP - used by nmbd
Port 139/TCP - used by smbd
Port 445/TCP - used by smbd

The last one is important because many older firewall setups may not be aware of it, given that this port was only added to the protocol in recent years.

When configuring a firewall, the high order ports (1024-65535) are often used for outgoing connections and therefore should be permitted through the firewall. It is prudent to block incoming packets on the high order ports except for established connections.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:59 PM   #3
ejan

Original Poster
I opened the ports you specified but I still get the same error. From what I understand, these ports might need to be opened only when you have Samba Server installed. I do not have the server installed on my system, however, as I don't need to share any content. I do have the Samba client package installed, however.

Unless I enable the builtin firewall in my Mandriva 2007 distro (which to the best of my knowledge blocks only inbound traffic), I am able to browse any computer on the LAN simply by typing smb:/<host-name>. However, enabling the firewall (with the ports you specified excluded), I get the error "Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall." as before.

Any ideas?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #4
cgjones

I've done some more searching, and it looks like other people have had a similar problem, but no solutions have been posted. Have you tried searching the Mandriva forums?

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 AM   #5
ejan

Original Poster
Same Question Posted On Mandriva Forums Alreay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjones
I've done some more searching, and it looks like other people have had a similar problem, but no solutions have been posted. Have you tried searching the Mandriva forums?
I've already posted the same question on Mandriva Forums but the question has not been answered as of this post. You can view the post at http://forum.club.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?p=311731.

By the way, what did your search reveal regarding commonness of this problem. Is it a Mandriva 2007 specific issue or genral Linux issue?

Old 03-17-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
win32sux
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380Reputation: 380
Moved: This thread is more suitable in Linux - Networking and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
cgjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejan
By the way, what did your search reveal regarding commonness of this problem. Is it a Mandriva 2007 specific issue or genral Linux issue?
It doesn't seem to be a very common problem and I don't think it is specific to Mandriva. I don't have much experience with Samba, so I'm probably just missing something simple.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
cgjones

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but is port 7741(TCP) open through the firewall? This is the port used by LISa, a network browsing service used in KDE.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
ejan

Original Poster
No luck Opened port 7741(TCP) but Konqueror gives the same error as before.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
cgjones

Is the install of Mandriva 2007 a clean install or an upgrade?

Is the system fully updated?

In the firewall configuration, are you allowing ICMP (ping, etc) traffic?

Old 03-19-2007, 03:49 AM   #11
ejan

Original Poster
Current Firewall Config

* I've a clean install not an upgrade
* The system is updated but there are some packages which need to be updated. Put simply, the system is not fully updated.
* In the firewall I have allowed
  • ping
  • bittorrent
  • 135/TCP
  • 137/UDP
  • 138/UDP
  • 139/TCP
  • 445/TCP

Currently, when I must browse the LAN I disable the firewall and then re-enable it

Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM   #12
cgjones

Which version of Mandriva 2007 are you running?

Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
ejan

Original Poster
I'm using Mandriva 2007 Free. I downloaded the four .iso images and burnt them myself. I'm not using any of the boxed versions.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #14
digen

Distribution: Ubuntu Feisty Fawn

Could you get back to us with the output of the below command ?

Quote:
digen@emily:~$ iptables -L

Old 03-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #15
cgjones

Do you know how Mandriva is setting up the firewall? It looks like they use Shorewall, but they also mention the new Invictus firewall. Although I don't think Invictus would come with the free version, unless you installed it later.

Tags
linux, networking