LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
K Torode
LQ Newbie

Distribution: None yet!

Rep: Reputation: 0
After .tar.gz files are unpacked what next?

I am trying to download and run ThunderBird.
It downloaded to the desktop and was unpacked using 'tar zxvf thunderbird.tar.gz'. It now resides as a folder on the desktop and contains 38 items of folders/files.
I have attempted, as su within the desktop directory, to continue with ./configure, make and so on, none of which are recognised by Bash.

What is the vital (and probably simple) piece of knowledge required for progress?

Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
GlennsPref

Distribution: Devuan

Rep: Reputation: 283Reputation: 283Reputation: 283
change to the directory where the the files were unpacked,

do "configure" and then do "make".

Better still, check out the readme that is usually(any good OS provider has this)

in the directory where the files were unpacked.

There should be instructions there.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
ernie

Distribution: Mageia 1

Rep: Reputation: 70
The Mozilla tarballs (Firefox, Seamonkey, and Thunderbird) contain the files for the program. These are not source packages. Extract the tarball contents to the location of your choice in the filesystem. If you want Thunerbird available to only your user space, extract the package to your home directory. If you want it to be available system wide, extract it (as root) to /opt or /usr/local. Create a link to the executable in ~/bin (your user space) or /usr/bin (system wide) so it can be found in the path.

If this information is too sparce, I'll be happy to do a step-by-step .

HTH,

Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
K Torode
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you both for your prompt response.

I have moved the extracted thunderbird folder to /opt and as root@localhost in /opt tried both the "./configure thunderbird" and simply "./configure". In each case Bash responds with "./configure: no such file or directory". I repeated these within the thunderbird folder(directory?) with the same response from Bash.

Why is the command "./configure" not being recognised or is my syntax/use wrong?

Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM   #5
Ixthusdan

Distribution: Open Suse

Rep: Reputation: 32
These files do not need to be configured. Read the installation instructions in the files. There is an installation file already in the directory.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
ernie

Distribution: Mageia 1

Rep: Reputation: 70
The Thunderbird tarball is not a source file, so you can not configure and compile it. This has already been done for you by the Thunderbird development team. You should be able to test run Thunderbird in a terminal window by executing:

Code:
/opt/thunderbird/thunderbird
There are a few ways to make it easier to run Thunderbird.

A). Put a link to Thunderbird in the system path:

As root in a teminal window, execute:
Code:
link /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunderbird
This command will create a link to the existing file (/opt/thunderbird/thunderbird) in another location (/usr/bin/thunderbird). Once this link is created, you can run thunderbird from a terminal window or console display with:
Code:
thunderbird
B). Add a Thunderbird menu entry (KDE):

ALT+Click the menu (star icon) in kickker and select Menu Editor in the pop up menu.

Expand Internet in the tree view and select Mail

Click File then New Item ... in the menu bar.

In the Item name: text entry field of the New Item dialog enter:
Code:
Thunderbird
Press Enter.

Add an icon for Thunderbird. Click the square icon button (top right). Select the Other Icons radio button. Click the Browse button. Navigate to /opt/thunderbird/icons. Select mozicon16.xpm. Click the Open button (bottom right).

Enter the command to start Thunderbird in the Command: text entry field:
Code:
'/opt/thunderbird/thunderbird'
Click File > Save to save the new menu entry.

HTH,

Old 03-16-2007, 07:18 AM   #7
K Torode
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thank you ernie, that was most helpful and educational. It encourages me go further into the ramifications of the system.

Keith Torode

Old 03-16-2007, 07:21 AM   #8
K Torode
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Great help. Not only up and running also now have a better understanding of the terms packages, folders, files, tarballs and so on.

Many thanks

KT