LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
elitelinuxnoob
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Ubuntu 6.10 LiveCD freezes at splash screen

I am just about to give up on Linux. All I want to do is try the LiveCD to see if I like it. What happends is when I get to the "splash screen" it freezes with a corrupted line which looks like part of a window. I have tried redownloading ISOs and burning them at 8x(lowest I can go) but to no avial. Could you recommend me any other good distros who have LiveCDs. atleast I might be able to try another because Ubuntu is fudged.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
ithawtewrong

Rep: Reputation: 30
You probably have something Ubuntu doesn't like being loaded because of very new hardware or legacy hardware. You may try as a boot parameter acpi=off
You should see some kind of instruction or help screen on boot up. It's been a while since I've booted up the Live CD so take a peek around the initial selection screen.

I think you'll find other boot options if you search around. The chances are pretty high that you'll have similar problem at boot or install of another distro.

Old 03-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
elitelinuxnoob
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ithawtewrong
You probably have something Ubuntu doesn't like being loaded because of very new hardware or legacy hardware. You may try as a boot parameter acpi=off
You should see some kind of instruction or help screen on boot up. It's been a while since I've booted up the Live CD so take a peek around the initial selection screen.

I think you'll find other boot options if you search around. The chances are pretty high that you'll have similar problem at boot or install of another distro.
Can you please explaine where I type acpi=off. Do I type it in after the ..."quite splash --?"
I got some help in another forum and they told me to type commands like noapic but not sure how you type them in.

Some guy gave me this: It doesnt really help me so can you explain to me what he wanted me to do?
Boot: linux noapic
Boot: linux pci=irqroute
Boot: linux pci=noacpi
Boot: linux acpi=off
Boot: linux pci=acpi
Boot: linux nolapic
Boot: linux framebuffer=false
Boot: linux irqpoll

thank you

Old 03-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
AceofSpades19

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 58
you could also try a virtual machine to see if you like it

Old 03-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
ithawtewrong

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Can you please explaine where I type acpi=off. Do I type it in after the ..."quite splash --?"
Yes, Press F6 at boot screen for more options, then place acpi=off at the end.

With linux you will have may trial and error months, days, and hours. I love it. I'd rather be challenged by learning something new.

As Aceofspades19 said. You may like running this virtual for a while until you get used to the little differences, unless you have a spare machine around.

Last edited by ithawtewrong; 03-04-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
robokiller
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
I had the exac same problem for ages, tried everything, pulled out ram, tried different cds, versions and cdrom drives, even a different HDD and was about to give up when i tried one last thing. take out my PCI Express card and try to boot it up with integratd... worked fine. of course then i thought it was my graphics card so i tried a Nvidia one, same problem. so then i started fiddling around with the PCI Express settings in the Bios until one setting i changed made it work!

heres what i did:

1. get into BIOS settings (del or F2 at bootup)

2. go to the advanced options > chipset configuration > PCI Express configuration.

3. find the option 'Compliance Test Pattern' and disable it.

4. try the LiveCD again and hopefully it will not lock up.

hope it helped