LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
Satriani

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9, Solaris8, Slackware 10, Slax on USB, AIX, FreeBSD, WinXP, AIX, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Configure wireless settings on boot

Hi All,

Wireless is pretty new to me, so maybe a stupid question. I have googled and searched, but did not find a satisfying, or working answer...

I have an IBM A31 with a wireless card (PRISM2chip) as eth1 (and a disconnected lanport as eth0)

When I type in:
Code:
ifconfig eth1 down
iwconfig eth1 essid MYESSID
iwconfig eth1 key [3] s:my13chars....
ifconfig eth1 up
dhclient eth1
Then I am connected to my network and everything is working fine.
However, this must be possible to configure at boottime (and not through a script in rc.local or so)

As you might have understaood from these settings:
I am using an accesspoint with WEP Encryption on key 3, Authorization is open. (Well, mac filtered)
The card is an 801.11b card with no WPA support i guess.

I am using Kubuntu 6.10 this time....

Some background info would help alot, and an answer would be great!

Tia

Satriani

Last edited by Satriani; 01-26-2007 at 10:09 AM.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
basileus

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo

You don't tell which distribution you are using, but with Debian and it's derivates (Ubuntu for example) you can specify wireless network settings by editing /etc/network/interfaces. This might be true on other distros also.

Just edit the file and add your wireless interface to the line "auto", for example:

auto lo eth0

The create / modify your wireless interface's entry like this:

iface eth0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid Home
wireless-mode ad-hoc

This way your interface should be activated at boot, and you can also bring it up and down with "ifup eth0" and "ifdown eth0".

Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #3
Satriani

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3, Red Hat 9, Solaris8, Slackware 10, Slax on USB, AIX, FreeBSD, WinXP, AIX, Ubuntu

Original Poster
basileus, thanks a million for your reply. This solved it!
(I did mention the distro, though, Kubuntu 6.10 )

Also, if you (or anyone) might give me a hint on my next step, it would be great:

I work at two locations, both with wireless. Is there an easy way to automatically use the correct setting for each location? (Kinda like two profiles: for each location a different profile)

Currently I have kwifimanager installed, this will probably do the trick, but you never know if anyone has better ideas to automate this?

Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 AM   #4
basileus

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo

Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.10 should come with a program called "network-manager". It should at least be installable via Synaptic. It's a GUI program which should handle different profiles quite nicely. I have not used it myself, but I've heard it praised a lot. Try google Linux at http://www.google.com/linux with keywords "ubuntu network-manager" if you run into trouble.

I myself use wpa_supplicant, which is a great piece of software. Actually "network-manager" uses it too, but in more user-friendly way. Plain wpa_supplicant is not too easy to configure "the Debian way", which is the way I did it. The basic configuration file is in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, and you can define different profiles for different networks. It will automatically switch between these networks whenever necessary.

Quote:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
update_config=0
network={
ssid="myssid"
id_str="home"
psk="mypsk"
proto=WPA
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
pairwise=CCMP
group=CCMP
priority=100
}
network={
ssid="open"
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=99
}
network={
ssid=""
key_mgmt=NONE
priority=0
}
In addition, you need to modify the /etc/network/interfaces as shown below:

Quote:
iface ath0 inet manual
wpa-driver wext
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface home inet dhcp
The "iface home" refers to the network profile in wpa_supplicant.conf. This configuration method should also apply to Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Last edited by basileus; 01-28-2007 at 02:29 AM.