LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2006, 07:26 PM   #1
jasondodd

Distribution: OpenSuse 10.2

Rep: Reputation: 15
PCI-e /acpi /broadcom SUCCESS

Hi all,

I just had to let everyone know. I've fought my HP DV9008NR (nvid chipset BCM51, AMD 64 x2 1GB RAM) for weeks now trying many distros, ndis, fwcutter, etc with no luck getting my picky Broadcom 4311 to work

I downloaded opensuse 10.2 and BOOM. Everything works simply.

first off, ACPI enabled successfully on the first boot. Key thing here, when running lspci -vv, the broadcom card showed an IRQ other than 0. Then the process was:

through yast install ndiswrapper

copy extracted bcmwl5.inf and bcmwl5.sys to my home directory.
in terminal, cd to ~/home
>ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf

>ndiswrapper -l shows driver name....harware installed

>modprobe ndiswrapper
>lsmod to check installation of module
>ndiswrapper -m to create link
>depmod -a

ifconfig then showed me a wlan0...........WOOHOOOO

Then in Yast network devices added "wireless" doing nothing but placing 'ndiswrapper' in the module text area.

Finished the install selecting it as a 'managed' network with a hexadecimal key...........and..........it worked.

I'm so damn happy!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
kyuso

Distribution: rh6-9 fc1-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondodd
I downloaded opensuse 10.2 and BOOM. Everything works simply.

I'm so damn happy!!!
Are you running proprietary nvidia driver without problems?

I can run bcm4311 wireless without problem from Fedora Core 5 when using open-source nvidia driver.

But I can't run 3D apps without proprietary nvidia. And proprietary nvidia driver hangs/slows down when running with ndiswrapper.

I've heard that it has something to do with HP BIOS bug.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
jasondodd

Original Poster
Hi kyuso,

No I am not, I haven't tried to get the 3d enable yet! I don't have a real need for it on this machine as I've got a monster of a windows machine built for gaming. openSuse did automatically detect my card and display resolution correctly during the install, so I left it alone. I may try that this weekend though, just out of curiosity.......and this time........unlike when I tried it on Ubuntu last week, I'll remember to backup my xorg.conf.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #4
jrochamtz
LQ Newbie

Distribution: fedora

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi!!

I'm glad to hear suse is working fine on this laptop. i'm downloading opensuse 10.2. but i'd like to know more about your install before format this disk. does the sound card is working?? if some one on the forum had tried the nvidia driver and is it works.

I thank a lot your help. Greetings!!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
jrochamtz
LQ Newbie

not working 100%

Hi all!!

I already have opensuse 10.2 x86_64 running on my laptop the same model dv9008nr. but it's not working as good as i thought.

- sometimes hangs.
- i have 2 wireless nics, the internal and a usb, non of both works.

this is what happen to me. thank to all if know how to fix it.

Greetings!!

Old 01-23-2007, 09:51 AM   #6
jrochamtz
LQ Newbie

wireless unsuccess

Hi!!

I have installed opensuse 10.2 x386 and works better than x86_64. the acpi thing seems to work correctly, the laptop shutsdown fine, the sound works, no hangs, etc. but..... when i install ndiswrapper module, i can see wlan0, but doesn't work. this is what i can see....

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

and haven't found how to hook the ap. even if i type

iwconfig wlan0 key 1234554321
iwconfig wlan0 ap 00:12:17:AA:31:F5

and when i type iwlist wlan0 scan, all access points give me this info

Quality:0/100 Signal level:-40 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

does someone know how to fix this??

Thanks in advance...

Old 01-26-2007, 04:14 PM   #7
jasondodd

Original Poster
To reply to a few of you.

I did get the Nvidia drivers installed without a problem. The key is you have to use the driver from the nvidia webiste, make sure you have kernel sources installed, and run the Nvidia installer after stopping X. It will then compile just fine. I also had good luck using the Nvidia sax2 configuration utility to get the xorg.conf configured properly. You know your Nvid drivers are configured properly when you see the Nvidia splash screen just before your login screen when booting.

Make sure before you do any video driver installation (i found this out the hard way) that you back up your xorg.conf file. So when you crash X, and you will, you can restore it from command line to it's previous state. From terminal, I do:

>cd /etc/X11
>cp xorg.conf xorg.backup

Then if it crashes, you can boot failsafe and do just the opposite, then init 5 and return to where you were before.

Onto jro's problems. I'm not sure why you're having trouble getting the acpi stuff. I actually had no troubles with the installer recognizing this properly and mapping all the goofy irq's as they need to be. Until I got this distro to read the high irq numbers established by pci-e, I cold not get my wireless or usb modules to load correctly.

It does sound like your machine is recognizing the wireless hardware, but when you run lspci -vv from terminal, does it report something like this:

03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 1363
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping-

OR does it say Broadcom Unknown device?? There may have been a problem during the ndiswrapper installation. I had to mess around with 3 or 4 bcml5.inf files until I found one that was right. Be sure you had the bcml5.sys file in the same folder as the .inf when you were setting up ndiswrapper. Also make sure you didn't miss any steps during that install, especially the depmod -a.

You can check that by typing ndiswrapper -l in terminal and see what it returns. Should look something like:

linux-ofoi:~ # ndiswrapper -l
installed drivers:
bcmwl5 driver installed, hardware (14E4:4324) present (alternate driver: bcm43xx)

If you do decide to try and reinstall ndiswrapper, make sure you have complete removed the software as well as the module with rmmod ndiswrapper. I compiled the most recent version of ndiswrapper because I found the version installed by Yast bitchy.

One thing I found...if I had to use acpi=off during boot, I would never get all of this pci-e crap to work.

Hope that helps some

Jason