Linux - Wireless NetworkingThis forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
First off a few notes on the success of this installation.
It initially took me about 30 hours through the course of 5 days to get this card to work. I reinstalled Slackware 10.1 today and had the network card working within 5 minutes of finishing the install.
Note:going through the lspci process and the lspci -# process the card type was reported to be an Harris Semiconductor D-Links DWL-g650 A1 (rev 01).
The single most important part of the install was the firmware install as well as the location to install it to. As noted in different posts the path was altered in 10.1.
The step by step I used for success:
1 - Go to prism54.org and get the firmware.
2 - Create the directory /lib/firmware
3 - copy the firmware into the /lib/firmware directory as isl3890
4 - edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.wireless.conf
4.1 - Find the block that begins with ## ------------ START SECTION TO REMOVE ------------- and ends with ## ------------ END SECTION TO REMOVE ------------------
4.2 - Between the start and end tags alter to look like the following:
INFO="I put 'Allnet' here"
KEY="MY PERSONAL KEY (HEX)"
4.3 - Save and close rc.wireless.conf
5 - edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local
5.1 add the following, note replace <ETH> with the actual alias (sorry, don't know the lingo) for the network card you are installing, you can determine the proper value by using lfconfig of lwconfig
5.2 - Save and close rc.local
6 - Reboot
As long as your Access Point is up and running you should be all set!
Not sure if the /sbin/dhcpcd <ETH> is actually needed, don't feel like testing it at this point.