LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #31
seanleblanc
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0

I'm game, but I have to figure out how I would do that (in this case, on Ubuntu).

Old 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM   #32
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Question

Could somebody possibly tell us how to patch alsa when you have the c sourcefile?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:10 PM   #33
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Exclamation

Well I made another post asking how to patch ALSA. Here it is. I have three responses as of right now. So if someone would like to try it, here it is!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...47#post2452647

Old 10-07-2006, 01:55 PM   #34
eeades

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 15
I tried the instructions, slightly modified, and got it to work. The volume has increased, and there are a couple more options. Kmix does not work properly with it, but that is only a minor annoyance at this time. I will post a reply to the other thread with my additions to the instructions. Anyone else tried this? How did it go?

Eric

Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 PM   #35
Guitarist88

Original Poster
I followed eeades modified instructions but ran into this error:

make[5]: *** No rule to make target `/home/joshua/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.13/als a-driver-1.0.13/pci/hda/patch_conexant.s', needed by `/home/joshua/Desktop/alsa- driver-1.0.13/alsa-driver-1.0.13/pci/hda/patch_conexant.o'. Stop.
make[4]: *** [/home/joshua/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.13/alsa-driver-1.0.13/pci/hda ] Error 2
make[3]: *** [/home/joshua/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.13/alsa-driver-1.0.13/pci] Er ror 2
make[2]: *** [_module_/home/joshua/Desktop/alsa-driver-1.0.13/alsa-driver-1.0.13 ] Error 2
make[1]: *** [modules] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.8'
make: *** [compile] Error 2

So I had to add the patch_conexant.c file to the alsa-driver-1.0.13/alsa-driver-1.0.13/pci/hda/ directory.
After that, it compiled perfectly!

I have greatly increased audio output and the mixer has a lot more options. Although, as eeades said, kmix does not work properly with this patch.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #36
fealos
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
May I ask the people who have applied the patch and have found that it conflicts with Kmix to explain exactly how Kmix is affected? I think that If I had the choice between muting my sound through kmix in my systray and not having full volume, I'd rather have the ability to quickly mute my sound with kmix.

Can you guys confirm that you can still mute your sound with kmix after having applied the patch?

Come to think of it, I'd really like to be able to adjust volume via Kmix in my systray as well.

If both the mute and the volume control are affected by the patch, how can one easily adjust these settings?

Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #37
Electro
LQ Guru

Do not use kmix or gnome mixer. Just use alsamixer. If it does not show all mixer controls, type 'alsamixer -V all' to get the complete list. The list will show the same as what amixer prints out.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #38
fealos
LQ Newbie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro
Do not use kmix or gnome mixer. Just use alsamixer. If it does not show all mixer controls, type 'alsamixer -V all' to get the complete list. The list will show the same as what amixer prints out.
As I said before, I rely on Kmix everyday, and I would rather have low sound than have to keep a terminal open with alsamixer constantly. So, this is not an convenient workaround for me.

I'd still like to know how Kmix is affected by the patch, please.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #39
Guitarist88

Original Poster
This patch has been undergoing many revisions since this post was created. You can watch the progress and also participate in testing by signing up to the alsa-devel mailing. I cannot remember for sure, but I believe this bug was fixed in one of their earlier patches. Keep in mind, they are still working on it.