LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2006, 03:42 AM   #1
Guitarist88

Rep: Reputation: 30
Angry Intel HD Audio low output

I have a dv8000 HP notebook which uses Intel's HDAudio. When I am using linux, the output volume is low. I have alsa mixer and kmix set to max and the volume is audible but I can go much louder in Windows. Any ideas how to fix this??

Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 87
There are numerous input/output volume settings in alsamixer - did you use the arrow keys to check all of them? Given that the output is audible proves that things are configured OK, so I'm betting that it may just be an obscure setting in alsamixer that's just set too low

Old 08-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Under both ALSAmixer and Kmix I have these inputs and outputs only:
PCM
Line
Mic
Capture

I have pcm on max and capture on max.

Oh and WOW! I just found something very strange while using Kmix.

When I change the volume there are spots in which it cuts out. Its not a normal logarithmic scale. I hope that helps.

For instance: In ALSA Mixer: My volume is louder when pcm is set to 24 than when it was set at 27 at which it mutes!

Please someone tell me that this helps!

Old 08-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #4
mango1122
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
hi im using hp dv 2002 with intel hda.same prob with me.tried to update the drivers bt no luck.also when i plugin my earphones, the sound can be heard in both earphones and the laptops speakers.can ny1 help

Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 AM   #5
osbie

Distribution: SuSe 10.2

well, over in the LAPTOP forum where i think this should be

, mangos problem was just discused. mango are y using a kernel older than 2.17 or late 2.16 ? goto the post.http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=471586

Guitarist, yeah speakers suck like that on our hps' and linux. i've yet to figure that one out, but your not alone. We all(dv8000 series)have that one. headphones are fine tho. never had the mixer prob. but then i'm on 10.1 so..lotta fixes for me there.

Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Well I don't think its because its an old kernel. I just checked and it said: 2.6.16.13-4-default. Oh and I'm using OpenSuse 10.1. I'm sorry I didn't state that in the original post. I didn't update my profile either. I did that now though.

I also checked and made sure I had the latest version of ALSA installed.

Last edited by Guitarist88; 08-16-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Old 08-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
osbie

Guitarist, I said that is Mangos most likely answer -a diff. problem-.

OUR problem so far has no answer except, the scratchy jumpy volume fader which is a first, we'll have to look into that one.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:39 PM   #8
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Yeah, didn't hurt to try what he did though. I'm grasping out for anything. Yeah, I never noticed the volume fader problem before any other time I had the problem, but it makes sense. I don't know what causes it but hopefully we could find out!

Old 09-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #9
robingazi

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
Same problem. I have debian etch, kernel 2.6.16-17. Intel 945 chipset based msi mainboard with 2.8 em64t processor and intel HD audio.

Low volume. grrrr

Old 09-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #10
brk3
LQ Newbie

Hi just to say there was a thread going on about this issue over on ubuntuforums.org(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=206703&page=1) and apparantly theres no known fix at the moment. This is damn annoying as its actually quite a good sound card on windows.
Our best bet is to report the bug to the alsa team/your distros vendor and pray it will be fixed soon!

Old 09-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Lightbulb Idea!

I was reading through the Ubuntu forums posts about this topic and recollecting some of my own personal experiences with this problem. I remember one time while I was in windows and I pressed the mute button (the media button on the keyboard). After I did that I restarted into linux. When I got into linux, it was unable to play any sound even though it had no problem previously. When I went back to windows and unmuted and then booted back into linux I had sound again.

Is this possibly not a problem with the software in linux (to an extent) but that when windows controls the sound, it is controlling the hardware in someway?

Look at this from the Ubuntu forum:

ese5
Default Re: DV8000t and a few questions/help needed
For those of you dual-booting windows, here is another (awkward and annoying) workaround I've found:

1.. Boot linux
2.. Hibernate (has to be hibernate, just restarting won't work)
3.. Turn the computer back on and boot into windows
3.. Make sure all the levels are up
4.. Restart windows and choose linux when GRUB comes back up

Volume should be working now.

This eludes to the fact that my volume in linux may be low because I usually have the master volume set low in windows!

So could somebody test this? I no longer have linux installed at the moment. Maybe looking at the problem this way could lead to a solution?

Last edited by Guitarist88; 09-11-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
osbie

Haven't tried it but did read that thread. I don't doubt it may work. Just look at the wifi problem of turning off wifi (the wifi button top center) in windows. do that and theres now way to turn it back on in linux. I tried, all i got was 'hardware RF is off' no command available with the driver (i read all 17 pages) would work.

So, does Win. do some dumbass hardware level shutdown/turndown as it exits? I did wonder after the wifi prob. so in Win. I turned vol all the way up before shutting down. No joy. As the methode above describes, it sounds like its in the shutdown that the prob. happens.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
brk3
LQ Newbie

To be honest this seems a bit of a long shot. Also, I dont have a dual boot, just pure linux. So windows cant be working any evil!

I still think its the driver

Old 09-12-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
Guitarist88

Original Poster
Yes it probably is the driver on the linux side... It doesn't seem to be able to control the sound on the hardware level like windows does. I think once we get a driver that can do that we won't have a problem, dual boot or not.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
brk3
LQ Newbie

Could I just ask that people show a bit of demand to the alsa team to get this bug fixed? I have already posted a bug report but not sure if its being noticed. Not in any ways sayin hassle them, just let them know its an issue.