LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > General
User Name
Password
General This forum is for non-technical general discussion which can include both Linux and non-Linux topics. Have fun!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2006, 04:32 PM   #1
Tadaen

Distribution: Arch

Rep: Reputation: 39
Windows to Linux

ive posted before in here, long time ago. while not meant to start a worthless tux vs windows topic. im personally sick of windows, tired of chasing down errors... i wish to move to linux, i have an idea of what i want, i even bought myself a LFS pack. very ambitious but once i got it, i need more xp with it. where would i go to literally learn the bottom of the ladder
... ive been on windows forever, i want to change but evrywhere i look for info it tells me to install this, goto this place, do this... but i have no clue what to do with a command line... where do i go for the ground up learning? or am is it one of the jump and hope you can swim?

Old 06-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Okie

Rep: Reputation: 187Reputation: 187
if you think Linux is going to make your computing life easier then the answer is no, computers take a lot if interaction (both Windows & Linux), however Linux has proven to me to be much more secure and a heck of a lot more stable and rock solid...

both Ubuntu and FedoraCore have recently released new copies if you want to give Linux another spin, Good luck...

Old 06-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #3
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
I've found the best way to learn Linux is to install a distro and start using it. Ask specific questions on specific problems, and you'll be well on your way.

A couple of decent distros you can download (for free) and try out are Ubuntu and Mepis. Of the two, I think Mepis may be a tad easier for a newbie to learn how to use.

LFS is a good learning tool, but it helps if you've used Linux for a while and develop some basic understanding first.

Old 06-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
PatrickMay16

Distribution: Debian oldstable

Rep: Reputation: 53
I'd like to ask you, what exactly do you dislike about windows which is making you want to move to an alternative?

Anyway, to get used to linux I suggest that you have nothing but linux installed on your computer for two months. This will FORCE you to learn linux, when otherwise you might just reboot into windows and give up.
The command line is intimidating at first but it's not that hard when you get used to it.

Remember, when you have problems searching through linux forums or asking for help on linux forums is very helpful. Usually people will be able to help you.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Tadaen

Original Poster
no i wastn looking for something to make it easier... its just something ive always wanted to learn... i dont like the errors that make absolutely no sense with windows is all... things happen in it that are inexplicable, and it happens all to often
ive always been a fast learner, id like to try my hand at programming a bit, i just dont like windows.. wanna try something new

currently downloading the Ubuntu 6.06, with a bit of luck my next posts will be from that platform

and as for patrick up above, the ducktales remix pwns

Last edited by Tadaen; 06-17-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
cousinlucky

Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
Good Luck Tadaen!! Multiple hijackings forced me to just give up using windows XP on the Internet. I am too old to learn about computers and exactly how they function. I am writing this post to hopefully make you aware of the great folks here at all Linux Forums. In a few places here it is mentioned to read the article " Linux is not Windows ". It was after reading this article that my eyes were truly opened from the Microsoft sleepwalking I was trapped within. I do not know squat about computers; but I know something about human beings. Linux Forums is where its truly all at!!

Old 06-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
Tadaen

Original Poster
at this point, i found i downloaded the wrong ubuntu and ended up with a command prompt which honestly scared me, i think it was teh server version : /... nub i know, i am logged in thru mepis right now, one thing ive noticed is it comes preloaded with a whole mess of stuff, and lots of programs are simply different versions of the same type of program, what would be a good distro to start with, thats basicly just linux, with a gui like gnome or kde?... as few extra progs as possible, so im forced to install and learn the processes?

Old 06-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
fancypiper
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 60
Yeah, servers don't need GUIs download the desktop versions.

It's a steep learning curve, but unlike Windows, you can have success!

I have a stable, working operating system that ends up just working. I recommend staying at least 1 distro behind in most distros, if you want stability.

Don't go for the latest and greatest as a newbie. Go for good support (learn how to search this forum).

I an considering replacing my Debian with Ubuntu, I hear from a couple of friends of mine that it is a good distro, and, of course, I recommend Fedora Core 4.

Preparing to install Linux:
# Choosing a Linux Distribution:
Will your hardware work?
Do you have good RAM? Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic
A Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Linux Distribution
Reasons to Choose or Not Choose Linux
LWN distro list
elinux Linux Distributions
# Freeware tools for partitioning/resizing hard drive partitions:
Any Linux Live CD usually have fdisk, cfdisk and other tools available
Ranish Partition Manager
# Understanding Linux Filesystem layout:
Directory Navigation Help File
Filesystems, Directories, and Devices Help File
Proper Filesystem Layout
Advanced filesystem implementor's guide (requires registration)

Do I buy a boxed source, download off the internet or buy some cheap CDs?
It's your choice! If you download, I suggest that you check the md5sums on the Linux ISO Images and make sure you know how to burn ISOs in Windows to install Linux
# Cheap CDs
Discount Linux CDs
Linux Central
Cheapbytes
TuxCDs
ComputerHelperGuy
CheapISO
Os Heaven

Last edited by fancypiper; 06-17-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #9
cousinlucky

Distribution: Antix 16 and PCLinuxOS Mate

Rep: Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515Reputation: 515
I bought Novell's Suse 10 Linux disks at a Best Buy store because it was the only Linux distribution I could walk into a store and purchase. I have dial-up so downloading a distro would be long and if something happens I would be screwed. Having the disks near my computer enables me to get weekly updates without a problem and to re-install, if needed.

You can be directly mailed free disks of the new Ubuntu distribution from:
http://linuxadvocate.org/try.php

Old 06-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #10
Tadaen

Original Poster
Ok heres where im at now... Had trouble getting downloads of Fedora Core 4, not sure why... i DL'd the DVD of FC5, went thru the install and partiioning with zero trouble, install went fine, no errors... even ran the built in check of media... set grub to DB with windows on my toher hard drive.. disk eject tells me to reboot.
i reboot grub comes up, i pick FC it loads to a progress bar which has the option "Show Details" on the left, and ont he right its scrolling what its loading.. when it gets to starting Firewall.. pc freezes, mouse doesnt move, i left it sitting for 5 minuts before i finally powered pc down manually and came back in on my windows, and here i am

Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
fancypiper
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.04

Rep: Reputation: 60
What did you choose for the firewall during install?

Possibly, you can boot into rescue mode and turn off the firewall (get it working after you can boot up, though) and see if you can boot. Type linux rescue at the install prompt.

(A couple of google hits that may help you)
Personal Fedora Core 5 Installation Guide
Fedora Core 5 Tips and Tricks (v0.5)

Last edited by fancypiper; 06-18-2006 at 01:22 PM.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
hold_breal

Distribution: suse/lfs/ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
i had great difficulties with fedora core myself, until i realised that it was a hardware problem. (not that i'm suggesting it is in your case).

i think one can safely assume that fc5 is a pretty solid distribution which should work on most desktop ibm-compatibles. be that as it may, i imagine ubuntu 6.06 would boot and install with absolutely no difficulties. it is also only one cd and not 5, so you may be able to avoid the overwhelming effect of what's possible with fc5 or opensuse.

i just threw the ubuntu live/install cd into my laptop and was pleasently surprised to have it configure my wlan-card and log in to my wlan net without any difficulty. unfortunately i already have a pretty large opensuse 10.1 install on it, so there isn't much point in repartitioning and installing ubuntu as well in my case.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #13
Megamieuwsel

Distribution: VectorLinux SOHO 5.1

Rep: Reputation: 35
If you' re going with Fedora I really must advice you to spend a little money and buy the "Linux Bible"(It comes with the Fedora-cds.Not sure which version at the moment)
That book is REALLY good : It takes you by the hand and guides you through literally everything , you might encounter.
If you can't "get it" from that one , you need a walkman , running a tape with "breath in...breath out...breath in..." on repeat...

And I don' t even like Fedora....
Go figure.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:04 PM   #14
Nylex
LQ Addict

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamieuwsel
If you' re going with Fedora I really must advice you to spend a little money and buy the "Linux Bible"(It comes with the Fedora-cds.Not sure which version at the moment)
That book is REALLY good : It takes you by the hand and guides you through literally everything , you might encounter.
If this is written by Christopher Negus, who wrote the Red Hat Linux Bible series (or at least, he wrote the one for RH 8), then I agree. I had (well, have actually) the Red Hat 8 bible and yeah, I found it very easy to follow.

Old 06-23-2006, 01:23 AM   #15
Ariox

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamieuwsel
If you can't "get it" from that one , you need a walkman , running a tape with "breath in...breath out...breath in..." on repeat...

And I don' t even like Fedora....
Go figure.

Speaking of Linux Bibles, "Running Linux" by O'Reilly has been with me since I started experimenting on and off with Slackware 2 years ago (mostly off until just recently). I have to say, with out that book I would probably have given up on Linux a long time ago. Now, though, I'm never going back to Windows, except when it's absolutely neccessary.

I'll have to look in to the "Linux Bible" though.. Any book that can live up to that name must be worth every cent.