LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
mykrob

Distribution: Kubuntu Feisty

Rep: Reputation: 31
Knetwork manager fails at 28% - Kubuntu Dapper

I have installed Kubuntu Dapper on my HP Pavilion ze2308 laptop. I enabled the broadcom wifi by blacklisting the bcm43xx driver and using ndiswrapper with the windows driver instead. The only way i can get it to connect is by issuing

dhclient eth1

in the console.

I have edited the file /etc/network/interfaces and commented out eth0 and eth1, my wired and wireless connections, respectively.. Upon reboot, networkmanager detects both. It works fine for plugging and unplugging my wired connection. It even detects my wireless network properly.. But, when i try to connect, it gets to 28%, stalls, then eventually gives up...

I have read that other people are having similar problems, with all of them happening at 28%. But i have not found a solution yet..

Please advise as to how i can effectively use KnetworkManager.

Thanks,
-myk

Old 07-12-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
rothchild
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have this problem as well, Kubuntu Dapper on Acer Ferrari 3000, got ndiswrapper working and could see interface etc but Knetwork manager stalls at 28% I've also tried using the included bcm43xx module but to no avail.

I really need network manager cos dealing with WPA_supplicant directly is too much faff for the person I am putting the box together for.

Please can anyone even just point me in the right direction?

Child

Old 08-28-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Kieffer87
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu 5.10

Has anyone figured out anything about this problem yet? I have the same exact problem.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
CDRW80
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Kubuntu 6.06

I had same problem, but now wireless works fine. I have Asus A6R laptop with Broadcom 4318. Instructions will be found ubuntuforums. Sorry can`t post direct link. I need 3 posts to made link. See my signature

Cheers

-cdrw80-

Old 08-31-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
rothchild
LQ Newbie

I'm afraid to say I don't know exactly how I did it but I just got it working.

I think I played around with the open source bc43xx kernel drivers, failed with those and went back to the disappear. I would try playing with switching your wireless router between unencrypted and wpa, I think what happened was that when I switched it back to encrypted and tried to connect, at 28% it then asked me for the new passkey and this seemed to get it past whatever obstacle was holding it back and it worked from then on?!

I think you might need to make sure that your /etc/network/interfaces file only has the local interface in it as knetworkmanager uses a different system for managing what is available.

HTH
Child

Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
bittner
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Lightbulb

I can confirm that this "stalling at 28%" happens. But it happens on my box only when I use the wrong parameters for my WPA connection. Let me explain:
  1. I need to manually "connect to other wireless network..."
  2. I specify the network name (ESSID)
  3. I choose "Use encryption", "WPA personal", "WPA 2". Now the problematic part, choosing the "WPA protocol":
    1. When I choose "Automatic" or "AES-Counter Mode ..." then connecting fails (-> stalling)
    2. When I choose TKIP ("Temporary Key Integrity Protocol") the connection will be established

(Note that "TKIP" corresponds to the WPA protocol settings on my wireless router!)

Maybe this information can help some of you guys!
Peter

Old 02-02-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
pegazuz

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittner
I can confirm that this "stalling at 28%" happens. But it happens on my box only when I use the wrong parameters for my WPA connection. Let me explain:
  1. I need to manually "connect to other wireless network..."
  2. I specify the network name (ESSID)
  3. I choose "Use encryption", "WPA personal", "WPA 2". Now the problematic part, choosing the "WPA protocol":
    1. When I choose "Automatic" or "AES-Counter Mode ..." then connecting fails (-> stalling)
    2. When I choose TKIP ("Temporary Key Integrity Protocol") the connection will be established

(Note that "TKIP" corresponds to the WPA protocol settings on my wireless router!)

Maybe this information can help some of you guys!
Peter
This solved my problem yesterday but now today it won't work at all. I did do some updates and added a bunch a new programs and wonder if this messed up something?

Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
ceantuco

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 88
Unhappy 28% Connection Failure

Hello Everyone,

I'm new on this Forum. I have the same issue with my wireless card. Suse detects it but when I enter the info for the wireless router it would get stuck at 28% of the process.
If you have any solutions, please let us know!
Thanks

Tags
broadcom, knetworkmanager