LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
johnvillegas

Distribution: SuSE

Rep: Reputation: 15
Question Can someone please tell me how to configure my network?

Can someone please tell me how to configure my network? Once I type 'netconfig', what do I do from there?

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
lestoil

Distribution: win2k,ubuntu,sw13,arch,centos5.3

Rep: Reputation: 31
Chapter 5 of Slackware Linux EssentialsII available at documents section of www.linuxpackages.net/ and http://www.slackbasics.org/html/slackware-basics.html networking section can get you on your way to setting up your network. After reviewing those guides if you still have questions return here. Happy slacking

Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Dark()
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 0
Enter host name: ( name of your machine)
domain name : example.org
for now use Static IP
enter your IP: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway : leave blank
for others settings use default parameters.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
johnvillegas

Original Poster
how do I find out what kernel module my wireless adapter uses? I googled for the information but couldn't find anything.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
cwwilson721

Distribution: Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, Slackware 13.1 64-bit

Rep: Reputation: 67
What kind is it?
Is it pcmcia? or usb?
If pcmcia, post the results of
Code:
cardmgr info

Old 03-11-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
WindowBreaker

Rep: Reputation: 40
johnvillegas:
Quote:
Can someone please tell me how to configure my network? Once I type 'netconfig', what do I do from there?
After you type 'netconfig' as root, you get a screen prompting you for a hostname. A hostname is just a name given to a computer to identify it among other computers. You should choose a name you like that no other computer on your network is already using, such as 'fooshitz'. As the prompt says, you should only enter the hostname, not the domain name. The difference is the hostname is a single name consisting of letters, digits, and hyphens, and must start with a letter. After typing in a hostname you like, make sure it's spelled correctly, and then push the ENTER key on your keyboard one time.

After doing this, the screen will change, now asking you to enter the domainname. A domain name is a hierarchical name (such as example.com), with levels of the hierarchy separated by a single period character, and the hierarchy getting less specific as you go right. The name is used to group computers that belong to the same organization, or are on the same physical/logical network. In your case, you could use one of the many domain names offered by no-ip.org. No-ip.org is a service where you create a free account and select an unused hostname on one of their many domainnames (hopto.org, no-ip.org, no-ip.biz, etc). Then when somebody from the outside (the Internet) types in that hostname, no-ip.org's DNS (Domain Name System) servers route that user to the ip address of your home network. This is advantageous if you want to allow outside access to a network where the ip is dynamic and changes periodically. You then can download and run a small program which keeps no-ip.org's DNS RR (resource records) up to date. This way when you are given a new dynamic ip address by your ISP (Internet Service Provider), people can still reach you from the outside.
If you don't care about outsiders being routed to you by a public name, and are only accessing the internet from the inside, choose a non-public name that won't conflict with an actual name. For instance, don't choose microsoft.com, choose something like 'myhomenetwork.local'.
After typing in a domain name you are happy with, press the ENTER key on your keyboard one time.

The screen will change. Now you are asked if you want to use a 'static ip' (meaning it never changes), or DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), meaning you get any available ip address from an address pool, given to you by a DHCP server on your network. Most DSL modems and Cable modems now have DHCP server's built into them and running by default. As long as all your networking cables are plugged in right, you should be able to select DHCP and have it work right. If you want to set a 'static ip', then there are some TCP/IP basics you will want to know about. For starters, a quick read of http://www.ipprimer.com/overview.cfm will really help you understand what's going on. If you already understand TCP/IP, then you can choose the 'static ip' option and hit ENTER. Then type in the ip address for the machine (such as 192.168.1.5) and hit ENTER. Next the netmask (255.255.255.0), and hit ENTER. Next enter the IP address of your gateway (your dsl/cable modem), usually ends in a dot one (192.168.1.1). Hit ENTER. If you'll be accessing a nameserver (which you will) select 'yes' and hit ENTER. The ip address of your gateway is preselected. This is usually fine, but if you want you can use any available DNS server. Many people use the public DNS server 4.2.2.4. After you've made your decision, press ENTER. Now you are shown a screen with all the info you typed in so far. If you are happy about what you see, select Accept and press ENTER. You'll get a little confirmation that your settings have been set, just press ENTER and you're done.

The result of this little escapade was modifications to a configuration file named /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf . Go ahead and take a look at the file to see how it's laid out if you like.
Code:
pico /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
It's well-commented so it's worth a look if you care to understand how slackware runs.
To see if your settings took effect you can do the following. To see your ip address:
Code:
ifconfig
To see your DNS server:
Code:
cat /etc/resolv.conf
To see your default gateway:
Code:
route -n
Look in the "Gateway" column.

Good luck to you johnvillega. Remember we are here to help you. Let us know if you need further explanation regarding anything at all.

Last edited by WindowBreaker; 03-11-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
cwwilson721

Rather than climbing down his throat, WindowBreaker, try ANSWERING THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED IN THIS THREAD.

You comment was TOTALLY off topic.

His question started off with "configuring' ,and now it is to trying to get his NIC recognized. Seems to be a logical and reseanable progression to me.

YOU are the one having a problem, so back off.

Come up with a good answer to a well asked question. Don't spout off.

If you're not CAPABLE OF ANSWERING THE QUESTION THAT WAS ASKED, don't say anything.

Old 03-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
WindowBreaker

Here's another good intro to TCP/IP (if you need it):
http://www.yale.edu/pclt/COMM/TCPIP.HTM

Last edited by WindowBreaker; 03-11-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Old 03-12-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
ezor

Distribution: Suse10.2 FreeBSD6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowBreaker
If you don't care about outsiders being routed to you by a public name, and are only accessing the internet from the inside, choose a non-public name that won't conflict with an actual name. For instance, don't choose microsoft.com, choose something like 'myhomenetwork.local'.
After typing in a domain name you are happy with, press the ENTER key on your keyboard one time.
Thanks, WindowBreaker for your explanation, especially for the above. I had screwed up netconfig because I didn't understand Domain Name.

Old 03-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Alien_Hominid

Distribution: Hybrid

Rep: Reputation: 53
Hey, Slackware forum is not supposed to held wars. We are slackers and not a bunch of "ubuntu" (not meant only this distro) kiddies. Calm down. Post would help others.

Last edited by Alien_Hominid; 03-12-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
johnvillegas

Original Poster
Hey, WindowBreaker, thanks for the input, but I have done all of what you said concerning the netconfig, and my wireless adapter is still not being recognized and I am not able to access the internet. Got any suggestions?

Old 03-12-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
dcdbutler

Distribution: slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
What's your wireless card chipset? Do you have the correct drivers?

Old 03-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
WindowBreaker

In that case, everything you configured with the 'netconfig' command was applied to your ethernet adapter (eth0).

What does the following (as root) show?
Code:
ifconfig -a
and
Code:
iwconfig
This will show any wifi nic's the kernel can see. If nothing shows, then you need to load the appropriate module for it. However, if you can see your wifi nic but not use it, then maybe you are missing the firmware. I know Prism chipsets require a firmware file.

You would get much more specific help if you would post the manufacturer and model number of your wireless adapter. Also the version number if it's printed on the adapter.

Last edited by WindowBreaker; 03-12-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Old 03-12-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
cwwilson721

If you have decided to ignore this thread now (And judging by your two new posts about 'ndiswrapper', you are), you could let us know. If not, we are waiting for an answer about type of wifi card you have.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #15
johnvillegas

Original Poster
Belkin F5D6050 ver.2000.

Thanks!