LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
lebabyg

Distribution: Ubuntu Feisty

Rep: Reputation: 30
Ndiswrapper/Wireless PCMCIA Card PB iGO4451

Hey,
I've recently installed Fedora Core4 onto my Packard Bell iGO 4451 (celeron 1.5Mhz, 32mb SIS 650 video) to run alongside XP and it seemingly boots up fine. However, i cannot get my 3Com wireless card to work. The OS can see it, as it comes up alongside my ethernet adapter but i cannot install the driver using Ndiswrapper. (nB, in the prerequisites of Ndiswrapper it says that i must have a .cache file in my dir. I don't have this, is this the problem).
I can connect fine via ethernet, and firefox works ok, but i cant donwnload kernel updates, as it says that i cant connect to the RedHat server. I need to update the kernel to install new software, and could this perhaps be what is affecting the wireless card? I'm extremely new to linux, but i live with a computer scientist (admittedly a crap one!!) and he is stumped as well. Is it possible that linux hasn't installed correctly, if so how do i check. Thanks in advance.

Update, eventually gave up on this card, so went out and bought one with the rt2500 chipset that works excellently in fedora with the legacy driver available from serialmonkey. However i have managed to get ndiswrapper to work for a linksys wpc54g(v5) wireless card so i'll post the instructions incase any other newbies are having trouble:
tar -zxvf /path/to/ndiswrapper.tar.gz (available from sourceforge)
cd into the untarred directory

make
su
(root password)
make install

(any errors here or in the make may be due to the fact that kernel-devel is not installed, so check that it is with rpm -qa | grep kernel, if it isnt use yum install kernel-devel)

su -

ndiswrapper -i /path/to/lsmvnds.inf (lsmvnds is the driver for the linksys card for other cards use the inf file located on the windows XP disk)

ndiswrapper -m (very important and the source of my original problem i think, it makes sure fedora lists the wireless card as wlan0 in /etc/modprobe.conf)

modprobe ndiswrapper

depmod -a

ndiswrapper -l (this will say "driver installed, hardware present" if all has gone well presuming your card is plugged in)

to configure the new card go to applications/systemtools/internet configuration wizard, and wlan0 will be listed under wireless devices. Make sure that 0x is put before your wep key!!!

hope this helps some fedora newbies to avoid the hrs that i spent sorting it out!!

Last edited by lebabyg; 04-14-2006 at 01:57 PM.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
lestoil

Distribution: win2k,ubuntu,sw13,arch,centos5.3

Rep: Reputation: 31
Check http;//www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000167/ "Wireless Networking with ndiswrapper" for troubleshooting tips. Good luck.