LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
oakville
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
x server fatal error

hi all guru:

i am porting a vm from vmware to xen, running 2.6.89. the porting itself is fine, while having issue at the time of starting up.

the server would have a hard freeze at the time of x window starting up, or hard freeze at x window when the server is brought off line.

so far, i did change of the video adapter for the vm, from cirrus logic 5446 (driver being cirrus), to standarad vga (driver being vesa), did a yum update of the "x window system", then the full update of the server, issue remains.

as it is hard freeze (magic key not working), i have very little information in the log, like to know if there is a way i can trace the system, to see where it stopped, or what caused it? the xorg posted a way of tracing using gdb to generate backtrace, i did not see it working, not sure if that is due to the version difference.

like all of your help, thx

Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
wagscat123

Distribution: openSUSE 15.2/15.3, Tumbleweed, Kubuntu 18.04/21.04, macOS 10.15, antiX 19, and Linux Mint 19.3

Rep: Reputation: 120Reputation: 120
What version of Red Hat are you virtualizing? Also, depending on that there's a X server log with that info. It may be in
Code:
~/.xsession-errors
or something.

Last edited by wagscat123; 07-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.