LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
baschenb
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Mondo Rescue questions

Hi all,

I'm running Debisan/Wheezy and was wondering if anyone uses Mondo Rescue and how well it works.

Also does anyone know if it is still being supported?
I've tried to go to the download site but it has been unreachable for a few days.

thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
widget

Distribution: Debian Testing, Stable, Sid and Manjaro, Mageia 3, LMDE

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
At one time anyway it was available in Debian 6 (Squeeze). All I get with "apt-cache show mondo" is "package not found".

Note that it doesn't show up in;
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ar-4175528405/

Also note in that list that plain old rsync is the most popular with responders of that question. Most of the rest are based on it.

If you need actual data recovery it is very hard to be testdisk.

There is this option;
http://www.mondorescue.org/downloads.shtml

Last edited by widget; 03-06-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121
New version in January 2015 ... would have to call that current.

I don't use Debian, but I'm sure I used Mondo on Ubuntu when I was guilty of using that in the past.
I like Mondo for a "bare metal" backup of a machine - Windows and Linux, the lot. Great flexibility (especially on the restore), but that may hurt its acceptability for some people. I create isos, and burn two copies and throw them in different drawers somewhere in case I need to rebuild the entire machine from scratch.
And as it happens, I have an old machine that just stopped working after a lightning strike. Hmmm ... was going to toss it out, but maybe, just maybe I used Mondo on that years ago. I'll see if I have enough spare disks to try a restore on it ...

Another option might redo backup - I've yet to try it. Testdisk is good, but useless if the media is dead. Then again, Mondo is probably not usually used for regular backups, so the data will likely be old.

Last edited by syg00; 03-06-2015 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-07-2015, 09:05 AM   #4
baschenb
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Widget:

You can get to --> http://www.mondorescue.org/downloads.shtml
However none of the FTP or Web links for downloading a specific implementation work. They all timeout.

syg00:

I do like the idea of Mondo creating the iso CD/DVD for restore on a running system and is my interest in it.
I currently do use ReDo backup and it works well but seems to be a little on the slow side.
It has saved me twice. The downside of it is having to take the server down to make the backup.

For short term backups I use rsync to copy critical files, but it saves a lot of time if you good image to restore if you have a disaster.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:24 AM   #5
Hungry ghost

Rep: Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by baschenb View Post
However none of the FTP or Web links for downloading a specific implementation work. They all timeout.
The US one works for me: ftp://mondo.mirror.pclark.com/pub/mondorescue/ .

Old 03-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
baschenb
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Not sure what the issue is then, I can't ping that site either.

No response from web site and can't ping either.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The connection has timed out

The server at mondo.mirror.pclark.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\ ping mondo.mirror.pclark.com
Pinging mondo.mirror.pclark.com [173.48.199.185] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 173.48.199.185:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100 loss),
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by baschenb; 03-07-2015 at 01:25 PM.

Old 03-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Hungry ghost

Rep: Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667Reputation: 667
Hmm, don't know, but there might be something wrong between your end and the download server. You could try downloading it from a different place (office, net caffe, etc.).

Old 03-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
baschenb
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
It is strange, since I can get to the main web site --> mondorescue.org just not to ftp.mondorescue.org or the other one.
Can you get to ftp.mondorescue.org ?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
Hungry ghost

Yes, I can access ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org/ with no issues. I don't know much about networking, but there must be something broken on the route between your computer and the server. You could try traceroute to see where the problem is, but I doubt it's something you can fix (probably some node down between you and the download server).

Old 03-07-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
syg00
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Lots ...

Rep: Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121Reputation: 4121
The sites appear to be dropping ICMP (so ignoring ping). They are all slow from this side of the world, even using lynx. I managed to get through to the CNRS ftp connection, have you tried that ?.
Quote:
I do like the idea of Mondo creating the iso CD/DVD for restore on a running system and is my interest in it.
I currently do use ReDo backup and it works well but seems to be a little on the slow side.
It has saved me twice. The downside of it is having to take the server down to make the backup.
Hmmm - we have a difference in philosophy. I don't like "hot" backups unless everything (particularly things like databases) can be quiesced and any in-memory data forced back to disk. No point backing up something that will restore "broken".
For mondo, I go back to single user - if I lose some (normal) logs, who cares, so long as I get mondo logs.

I'm also a big believer in snapshot - take a snap for a point-in-time copy, then backup the snap at your leisure. You can let the system run once the snap is available. I use btrfs, but LVM offers similar.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #11
widget

Rep: Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497Reputation: 497
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.

Widget:

syg00:

For short term backups I use rsync to copy critical files, but it saves a lot of time if you good image to restore if you have a disaster.
Yes, that is the link I put in my post.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #12
widget

If you were trying to download with anything other than wget you should give that a try with the -c option.

Just fire it up and let it go. Will get it eventually.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #13
baschenb
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Download problem solved...

My stupid AT&T Gateway had every outbound protocol enabled "except" FTP.