LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
eeluve

Distribution: all of 'em

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Virtualbox Installation trouble

I am going through graphical install of debian-7.8.0-i386-netinst.iso on my latest version of Oracle VirtualBox. Which ends up on "An installation step failed. You can try to run the failed items again .." during "Select and Install software" upon trying to fetch or install openssh client. Exactly previous to that was apt configure step which has shown no sign of failure! But after switching to alt+f2 console I do not see apt neither aptitude in system at all. No /etc/apt dir, no apt-get, apt-cache whatever(only apt-install, apt-setup & apt-setup-verify, running those has no effect), no wonder it may not proceed with package installations. I've tried configuring apt in 2 ways through this graphical install, pointing default and local fetch servers, result was the same. Of course checked internet connectivity and dns resolving through VB NAT, both are working just fine. I'll try non-graphical inst meanwhile .. but not sure at all, hope for some help here.

Last edited by eeluve; 01-23-2015 at 01:45 PM.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
eeluve

Original Poster
Ok, I get pretty much the same problem through non-graphical installation. Somewhy apt reports being successfully installed and it doesn't seem to me. Neither system being able to proceed with any type of "package installation" steps.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
Is this after the "configure network mirrors" steps? Because, if so, I have run into problems there with installs on actual and virtual machines and found that either selecting another mirror or installing the base system form the CD only then adding a network repository looked like they would work though I generally just used the install disc fro an older version and dist-upgraded or similar.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
eeluve

Original Poster
Ok I managed to complete the non-graphical installation. Have completely no idea what helped, but since my last post order was: rebooted physical PC 1st time since VB install(you never know, what if), started fresh non-graphical debian install on VB, chosen to not separate /home partition this time(just in case), did not create any LVM and of course used no volume encryption while also decided to install graphical environment just for the sake of it. So either of these helped, no idea what exactly and especially why. Hope some people who will get into this problem in future and google into my thread will get it solved quicker at least.

Last edited by eeluve; 01-23-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
dirg3r
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10.0 OE

Rep: Reputation: 0
I have had this exact same problem for months and it seems pretty hit or miss as to what will work. Sometimes the installer will stop after the 'Software Selection' with a red screen and the error "An installation step failed. You can try to run the failed items again", other times it will succeed but boot to a CLI even though I chose to install the 'Debian desktop environment'.

So I finally got Debian Wheezy 7.8 working with the the non-graphical installation. As with the original poster I have completely no idea what helped, but my order was: started fresh non-graphical debian install on VB, chose a separate /home partition, created a LVM with encryption, chose not to install from mirrors, and in 'Software Selection' decided to install the Debian desktop environment.

EDIT: After some playing around I can confirm the problem is triggered with the use of a 'network mirror'. Thanks for the hint member 273.

Last edited by dirg3r; 04-01-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
zhivotovsky
LQ Newbie

I had the same problem.
It is independent of the hardware (virtual or real), the method of installation (graphical or non-graphical).

You just add a bit of memory.

The problem there is 128 MB.
If set to 256 MB, the installation is successful.