LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
ungua

Distribution: OpenSuSe (SuSe 10.1), Win XP Pro

Rep: Reputation: 30
"no mime type installed" means what?

i have big troubles installing my multimediasupport and have not yet been able to fix my troubles. patience is about to be used up so i followed this advice for one yast repository. looking for "xine" and "mp3" i was offered to install some more programs, like i wished it to be in the post above the linked one. but now i get an error saying "no mime types" installed and when trying to get "xine" or anything from "packman-bremen" the errormessage is still something about libxine and directfb which i do not understand:
http://home.arcor.de/noroli/wonder.jpg

so did i actually do something wrong? how can i finally fix this?

regards
ungua

edit: i do have kde 3.4 in suse 10.0 and now some things are really looking different. like when i try to shut down the computer, the menue looks a lot different. no dragon and more squarelike (which is no problem to me as long as nobody tells me )

Last edited by ungua; 01-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
abisko00

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 58
You most probably do not need libxine-directfb, so removing this should solve the conflict. Maybe you need to add another source to make ImageMagick available. I get this package from the main OpenSUSE repository (e.g. ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/op...S/inst-source/ )

If you install xine from packman, make sure you have libxine1 and xine-ui from this source (not from SUSE sources). Kaffeine is optional, but take the packman package.

EDIT: If a package is available from different sources, you need to pick the correct one from the "Versions" tab in the lower-right YaST window.

Last edited by abisko00; 01-17-2006 at 10:14 AM.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
ungua

Original Poster
Thumbs up

thank you for your fast answer! i installed xine from your source, but i didn't remove anything yet since the system is not complaining when i use your source. imagemagick was installed automatically, too, when i chose to install xine.
but i can not yet watch movies or listen to mp3 (decoder downloaded, too) - maybe after a restart? restarting since my last post did change my "start"-icon, which was this green animal in a circle before and now is a blue k in a rectangle.

hilsen till umeċ
ungua

p.s.: btw, i think the former conflict from packman was caused of missing directfb - it is not installed on my machine.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #4
riba43

Distribution: suse11.0

Rep: Reputation: 31
Lightbulb

ungua,
I think you should remove all SUSE packages and then install the packages from packman.

regards

Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
ungua

Original Poster
how and why??

regards
ungua, even after 1½ years of suse a newbie

edit: still cannot watch a movie or listen to mp3, what's the problem...???

Old 01-18-2006, 12:13 AM   #6
riba43

You can remove them by going to: >Control Center >Yast2 >Install remove packages.

Old 01-18-2006, 03:06 AM   #7
abisko00

Quote:
and why??
SUSE comes with a xine package that contains some restrictions due to copyright problems. The version from packman does not have these restrictions. However if you keep the SUSE rpm, you will get a mix of restricted and free xine that will not function properly. At least this I learned from experience.

You need to install the mad packages for mp3 support
Code:
user@linux:~> rpm -qa | grep mad
mad-0.15.1b-1.pm.0
kdemultimedia3-arts-mad-3.4.3-2
k3b-mad-0.12.7-3.pm.1
xmms-lib-mad-1.2.10-80
kdemultimedia3-mad-3.4.3-2
and the w32codec-all package for many other file formats.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
ungua

Original Poster
i didn't know that there was a difference from these two sources. but the problem is that i cannot install the xine-package from packman: i get the error message that there i need directfb, arts and imagemagick, none of that is to be found at packman, if i trust it. arts was installed from the last source, as well as imagemagick. directfb is not yet installed. shall i do so and then remove all xine packages?
w32 codecs are installed, too. in yast i get the lock-symbol.

regards
ungua

edit: installation as "root"? my result from one minute ago:
Quote:
oli@linux:~> rpm -qa | grep mad

oli@linux:~> mad-0.15.1b-1.pm.0
bash: mad-0.15.1b-1.pm.0: command not found
oli@linux:~> kdemultimedia3-arts-mad-3.4.3-2
bash: kdemultimedia3-arts-mad-3.4.3-2: command not found
oli@linux:~> k3b-mad-0.12.7-3.pm.1
bash: k3b-mad-0.12.7-3.pm.1: command not found
oli@linux:~> xmms-lib-mad-1.2.10-80
bash: xmms-lib-mad-1.2.10-80: command not found
oli@linux:~> kdemultimedia3-mad-3.4.3-2
bash: kdemultimedia3-mad-3.4.3-2: command not found
oli@linux:~>

Last edited by ungua; 01-18-2006 at 04:03 PM.

Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 AM   #9
abisko00

Come on unugua! You are using linux long enough to know how to install software.
What you have done above cannot work. First you have to use the rpm -i or yast -i command, second, the packages have to be in the same directory and third, you need to do this as root.

Use YaST!

Here is my list of installation sources. I use them from Sweden, so you should not have any problems using them from Norway:
Code:
[x]  SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/suse/suse/i386/10.0/SUSE-Linux10.0-GM-Extra)
[x]  SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/)
[x]  SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source-java)
[x]  Packman (SuSE LINUX 10.0) (ftp://ftp.mb3.tu-chemnitz.de/mirrors/packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.0)
[x]  supplementary KDE 3.5 update (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_10.0/yast-source)
[x]  supplementary GNOME 2.12 update (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/GNOME/update_for_10.0/yast-source)
[x]  contributions by Robert Schiele (http://pi3.informatik.uni-mannheim.de/~schiele/suse/10.0/)
[x]  scorot rpms (SUSE LINUX 10.0) (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-scorot/suse100)
[x]  Battle For Wesnoth (SUSE LINUX 10.0) (http://gumbeargang.de/rpm/wesnoth/10.0/)
[x]  suser-liviudm (SUSE LINUX 10.0) (ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/suser-liviudm/10.0)
With these sources, you should not get any more dependency conflicts. You can add them with the command installation_sources -a <URL> , but make sure you are root.

Anyway, as I have told you before, you don't need the packgage libxine1-directfb, so you don't need directfb either.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
ungua

Original Poster
yes, i am really sorry and aware that i should be able to use the command line, too. but since i switched to linux i was not willing to dedicate any time to my pc since i am far too busy with everything else. so there is a learning process but it's more like "a slow train crawling up a hill" (katie melua) than a bullet..
i may find the time do uninstall things in the weekend. then i will try your sources for another time. but what i still don't understand, is why the system tells me that i need all these programs and am i supposed to uninstall arts, too? besides the symbol of a cartoon-bomb the system tells me i risk an unstable system installing xine without arts, directfb and imagemagick - all of those not to be found on the packman-server i used. of course, i can try another server. but what worries me is the error message.

above of all, thank you very, very much for your patience, both in this and the sticky thread!

regards
ungua

Old 01-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #11
ungua

Original Poster
whooooooa, it is so difficult! all the time, yast is complaining about something. isn't there any .rpm to fix this ..?

regards
ungua

Old 01-22-2006, 04:07 AM   #12
riba43

ungua,

if yast is complaining about something it sure gives you an advice what to do, which packages to remove from your system. I advice you to follow that and first remove all errors from your system and then install what you want. Then go again into control center>yast2>software>update from web ant that should work (I hope because it works for me. I use apt and synyptic for that).

Old 02-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
ungua

Original Poster
okay, i followed all the advices given here, apart from this "manual" installation of several files that make me able to de- and encode .mp3. to make it short: it didn't work! amazing how suse is able to make me feel stupid all the time...

i uninstalled everything that was "wrong" from before and tried a system update from these:

[x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distrib...x10.0-GM-Extra)
[x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/op...S/inst-source/)
[x] SUSE LINUX Version 10.0 (ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/mirrors/op...st-source-java)
[x] Packman (SuSE LINUX 10.0) (ftp://ftp.mb3.tu-chemnitz.de/mirrors...n.de/suse/10.0)

no change regarding multimedia, before every update i removed what was new.

then i tried an update from this austrian packman (see screenshot), but yast told me the version on the server was an "incompatible version". since this is the only one i found what i was looking for, i tried to install all this mediashit manually. but this didn't work, so i removed it.

i certainly do lack the time to become "professional" with this and i simply don't understand what the problem is with these updates... either i am too stupid or this machine is weird. maybe the best solution would be to send the hdd to umeċ...

regards
ungua, frustrated

Old 02-08-2006, 03:41 PM   #14
abisko00

I totally understand your frustration. It seems to be far more complicated than I expected. Maybe I am just lucky that it works for me. I went through a similar thread recently and this guy was facing the same problem. However, finally it was working for him.

All I can do for you is to point to this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=406323

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #15
riba43

ungua,

well maybe try and install apt4suse and synaptic. Follow the info in the attached url.
then tell us if it works.

http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Install-apt4suse