LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #1
NetRAVEN5000

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04

Rep: Reputation: 30
"nvidia-settings" OC settings and SuSE 10

I'm not new to Linux, but I recently switched to SuSE 10 from Slackware 10.2. I have the nVidia drivers installed through SuSE's nVidia driver installer. I like to overclock my videocard using "nvidia-settings" but it forgets my settings every time X starts! It remembered these settings in Slackware, though - anyone know what might be the problem?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Gsidious

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 17
Make sure you have a "~/.nvidia-settings-rc" file. If you run "nvidia-settings" it should write the changes to "~/.nvidia-settings-rc", so each user on the system would have to run "nvidia-settings" and make what changes they wanted. SuSE 10 seems to support running "nvidia-settings -l" from looking at the script "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", and settings should be specific for each user on the system. If it's not working, you could stick something like this in your .bash_profile:
Code:
 if [ -d /tmp/kde-${LOGNAME} ];
then
    /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l;
fi
I don't really think this belongs in the .profile, and the above example is KDE specific, so if you're not using KDE, you would need to change it, but the concept works. I would probably just try sticking the line "/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -l" at the bottom of the file "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc" and see if that works.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
NetRAVEN5000

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsidious
SuSE 10 seems to support running "nvidia-settings -l" from looking at the script "/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc", and settings should be specific for each user on the system.
Yup, it's in my xinitrc. It looks like this:
Code:
# load nvidia settings
if [ -x /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -a -r $HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc ]; then
  /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only &> /dev/null &
fi
Should this look different? I'm not sure why it wants to send the output of nvidia-settings to /dev/null. . . also, the "-a" option in nvidia-settings' help says there should be something after the "-a" option, and it doesn't even mention the "-r" option.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Gsidious

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetRAVEN5000
Yup, it's in my xinitrc. It looks like this:
Code:
# load nvidia settings
if [ -x /usr/bin/nvidia-settings -a -r $HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc ]; then
  /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only &> /dev/null &
fi
the "-a" option in nvidia-settings' help says there should be something after the "-a" option, and it doesn't even mention the "-r" option.
The "-a -r" options are part of the "if" test, "-a" to test that the "$HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc" file exists, and "-r" to test that the same file exists and is Readable. So they are not options to the "nvidia-settings" executable. Do you have a "$HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc" file? I tested in on my SuSE 10 box here, and it did load the changes to the display. Anyway, hope it's working for you.
-G.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
zaug
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo

Rep: Reputation: 0
Lightbulb

My previous response was not a permanent solution, but I have written one here:

gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_Drivers#Activating_Coolbits.3B_Overclocking_Controls_for_nVIDIA_Settings

Hope this is still helpish.

Last edited by zaug; 01-12-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Tags
nvidia