LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Software
User Name
Password
Linux - Software This forum is for Software issues.
Having a problem installing a new program? Want to know which application is best for the job? Post your question in this forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
AndrewEdwards
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo Linux + KDE stable

Rep: Reputation: 0
vnc stopped working after full fc2 update

i issued the command
vncserver :1 -name andrew -geometry 1024x768
on my unpatched fedora 2 system and connected fine to it and worked for around 3 hours flawlessly, rebooted to install the newest kernel and it came back up, i re-issued the command and the following log output was my result after the vncserver failed connection :

Mon Aug 8 14:15:43 2005
vncext: VNC extension running!
vncext: Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
vncext: Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
vncext: created VNC server for screen 0
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/, removing from list!
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
which: no fs in (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/andrew/bin)
/usr/bin/startkde: line 16: [: argument expected
xset: bad font path element (#37), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
xset: bad font path element (#37), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
kbuildsycoca running...
Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":1.0".
server does not have extension for "r rate" option
Server has no DPMS extension
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:494:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken pipe
X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
Major opcode: 102
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x0
X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
Major opcode: 102
Minor opcode: 0
Resource id: 0x0
autorun is already running!
Klipper is already running!
QServerSocket: failed to bind or listen to the socket
/usr/share/rhn/rhn_applet/rhn_applet.py:362: DeprecationWarning: integer argument expected, got float
self.animate_timeout_tag = gtk.timeout_add(math.floor(1000 * ANIMATION_TOTAL_TIME/len(frames)), self.animate_handler)

--------------
ssh and other daemons run fine, i can connect to the internet and dns, there are no other socket bind issues, can anyone help me to further-understand this log output? As a sidenote i ran the command as root after running it as myself, the same errors occurred.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
orgcandman

Distribution: Fedora, RHEL

Rep: Reputation: 110Reputation: 110
If you look at your output, you have lots of permissions errors, and it seems that KDE is already running on your system as you when you try to bring up the desktop. I would probably see what else was upgraded, and maybe consider using xfce or some other lightweight DE (IE: Not gnome or KDE) for your VNC desktop (~/.vnc/xstartup).

Thanks,
Aaron

Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
AndrewEdwards
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
cheers for the reply, will do

Old 02-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
kelilinux
LQ Newbie

I too am having issues with vnc. Specifically vnc and Fc2. I am trying to get vnc server to work on a headless fc2 virtual dedicated server and be able to view desktop from a client machine (usually windows, but also and fc4 machine).
It is my understanding that some form of vnc is already installed on most linux, including FC2. Indeed, a viewer seems to be installed, but the VNC server function does not seem to work.
As root, I type vncserver or vnc-server as various have suggested, and I get...

# vncserver
-bash: vncserver: command not found

I figure a reinstall might allow me to get the server running, or fix any problems... So As root (su - followed by passwd), when I try to install, i get the following...

# rpm -i vnc-4.0-5.i386.rpm
/etc/security/selinux/file_contexts: No such file or directory
warning: vnc-4.0-5.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
package vnc-4.0-5 is already installed
#

The package is installed, but seemingly, only the viewer works (I have not tried to use the viewer, but "# vncviewer" generates evidence it is operational, and the viewer (not the server) does show up in directories.

So, I try a yum install to see if that will fix the prob or clean the slate and allow vnc server to run.
When I try a yum install, I get the following

# yum install vnc
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Fedora Core 2 - i386 - Base
retrygrab() failed for:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...rs/header.info
Executing failover method
failover: out of servers to try
Error getting file http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...rs/header.info
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error >
#

These are just the basic approaches I have tried. I have tried variations on these installs (not just using -i in the rpm install, using 'yum localinstall' etc. etc.

The key issues that googling and foruming have brought up, but not clearly, are:
1. Fedora Core 2 has selinux disabled out of box, but not fully clear from the system. Yum and VNC installs seem to snag on selinux folders not being present.

2. FC2 vnc is viewer only. (A previous post on a related thread (I was going to post on that one or this one) suggests this, but is this unchangeable? Can it be made to run vnc server?)

3. yum is legacy on FC2 now, which requires a lot of hoops to jum through to get it to work right.

Thought I have ID'd these issues, I'd need help resolving them if they are indeed my problem. There might be other issues, but I can't seem to make sense of how to proceed.

Some notes: Though I would like to, I can't upgrade to fc3 or 4, but must use the network/server's fc2 config. I can ssh in no prob, and ftp, etc. I am using putty and filezilla. Also, I have tried to install some other remote desktops with similar snags, though I am open to suggestions.

This is the closest thread I have seen to my problem. If there is a better place to post, please let me know.

So, I am open to any advice, but I need to know how to get vnc server to work on fc2 with seeming selinux issues and possible other issues. I would like to use vnc, but other advice on other remote desks is welcome.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 02-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #5
AndrewEdwards
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Hi there, it has been a long time since I abandoned my fedora core machine (I moved on to gentoo and vnc worked after an emerge xvnc, it was easy as hell!) as for getting it working on a headless virtual dedicated server, I doubt that will work regardless of whether you get the command to work, typically vds machines don't have graphics cards (and vnc wont work without being able to draw an interface - from my expirience), anyway before battling your other problems I thought it might help to inform you of that. If you do happen to have a graphics card then I will do my best to help you with your issues, honestly I find when redhat updates itself it tends to "dick over" previous installs (I had a similar problem with ActiveTCL and TCL 8.11).

Anyway I've either wasted your time or saved you alot of time, have a nice day (I will when I get out of bed!).

Regards,
Andrew

Old 02-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
kelilinux
LQ Newbie

Thanks A-Edwards,
I will look into the graphics card issue. You're right, no use wrestling with the other issues if the most basic issue would block any other solution.
I'll get back to the post when I find out. I really appreciate your help.

Old 02-26-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
AndrewEdwards
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ok it's no problem, i hope the graphics card issue comes back positive, that way you will eventually get vnc running!
Regards,
Andrew