LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions
User Name
Password
Linux - Distributions This forum is for Distribution specific questions.
Red Hat, Slackware, Debian, Novell, LFS, Mandriva, Ubuntu, Fedora - the list goes on and on... Note: An (*) indicates there is no official participation from that distribution here at LQ.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
rolie
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Choose a distribution - 128Mb RAM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a suitable FREE distribution for my machine which has only 128Mb RAM (800Mhz, 15Gb).

I've looked to the Fedora project but I understand that I need at least 192Mb RAM to work comfortably with the graphical interface. Is that right?

Moreover, since I'm not a beast in computing, I'm also looking for a not too hard to install distribution (If you see what I mean...). e.g., I had a look on gentoo but It seems to me a bit tricky...

So thanks in advance for your kind help!

Old 04-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
redhatrosh

Location: Student of University of Mumbai, Maharastra State, India
Distribution: Redhat Linux 9.0, Knoppix LIVE CD, Ubuntu Live CD, Kubuntu Live CD

Rep: Reputation: 30
Hey, I feel (my personal opinion) you should not go abt installing a linux in your computer! I feel 15 GB is ok ok..but hey..just think over...

However, a good free linux O.S (just incase u have two Optical Drives) is Knoppix for your system (Hopefully it wont demand more RAM, and usually Does not require much). You can download it from

www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Padma

Distribution: PCLinuxOS 2007

*Any* major distro will work on that system. Gnome/KDE might run a little sluggishly, so just use a different window manager, like fvwm, or fluxbox, or ...

Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
masonm

Distribution: Slackware64 -current

Rep: Reputation: 90
I agree with Padma, any major distro will work. The great thing about Linux is choice. You can choose a lighter window manager to conserve RAM without losing any function.

Fluxbox is a great wm.

You can run Linux easily with 128M of RAM no problem, just stay away from KDE or Gnome and you'll be fine.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
ferrix

Distribution: Ultima, Blag, KateOS, PCLinuxOS, Frugalware

Rep: Reputation: 31
When I wanted to test Kubuntu I installed it on a system with only 128mb of RAM, and it worked just fine. So you can not only run KDE on your system, but you can run the latest version! I would recommend that in fact. Start with KDE which will not be very fast, but will feel more familiar to you, then as you get more comfortable with Linux you can switch to a lighter desktop (like XFce4, Fluxbox, IceWM....)
Also, installation of Kubuntu is really simple. And the final release should be out tomorrow (along with Ubuntu) if all goes according to plan.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
Berto

Distribution: Slackware

I'd strongly recommend Slackware. A very efficient OS.

Also, I'd buy another 128mb if I were you; for such an old system (probably SIMM RAM), it would be pretty cheap.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:08 PM   #7
ferrix

Distribution: Ultima, Blag, KateOS, PCLinuxOS, Frugalware

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by Berto
I'd strongly recommend Slackware. A very efficient OS.

Also, I'd buy another 128mb if I were you; for such an old system (probably SIMM RAM), it would be pretty cheap.
I'd second that - more RAM is a worthwhile investment. If your system is a PIII or Athlon at 800Mhz, with Linux installed it can serve you perfectly well for a number of years yet. But more RAM will make it noticeably more comfortable.