LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2004, 03:14 PM   #1
Optimistic

Distribution: Debian (testing)

Rep: Reputation: 33
Proxim Gold 8420-WD?

I've read many conflicting (and some downright depressing) things about this card and Linux. Has anyone gotten this card to work? How? I'm a complete noob when it comes to Wireless Networking in Linux, if anyone could help me I would be very thankful.

Here is what I have:
--The above-mentioned card (Proxim Gold 8420-WD).
--Slackware 10
--Kernel 2.4.26
--Lots of free time.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
Optimistic

Original Poster
I followed the guide from here: http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wlanrinocosilver. The guide was for the silver model but the chipsets are the same so I think that it is on the right track.

Now the relevant part of my lsmod looks like this:

pcmcia_core 39972 0 [wlags49_h2_cs ds yenta_socket]

cardctl ident returns this:

product info: "Agere Systems", "Wireless PC Card Model 0111", "", ""
manfid: 0x0156, 0x0003
function: 6 (network)

cardctl status returns this:

Socket 0:
5V 16-bit PC Card
function 0: [ready]

The card itself has one of thge lights on now (the one on the left) and sometimes the light on the right blinks faintly, so this plus the above makes it seems like the card in regognized (I hope), but I can't seem to connect. Lynx says that it is unable to connect to remote host, etc.

So, is there some configuration that I have to do now or have I made a mistake somewhere?

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
Optimistic

Original Poster
Well, I got the card working. Turns out all I needed to do was install some wireless tools that I was missing.

So, here is a brief guide to get cards with this chipset working (Which should be Proxim Gold 8420-WD, and the Proxim Silver 8421-WD, possibly some others):

1. If you need them, grab some wireless_tools from here: http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/contrib/
2. Follow this guide: http://www.splitbrain.org/dokuwiki/wlan:orinocosilver
3. If the guide does not work try: #> iwconfig eth1 essid any

Oh, and none of this works with kernel 2.6, so don't waste your time. You need kernel 2.4.

Good luck!