LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Puppy
User Name
Password
Puppy This forum is for the discussion of Puppy Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Grife

Distribution: openSUSE

Rep: Reputation: 15
So it runs on RAM?

I'm so excited about that! But tell me, how well it should go if I'd after "pushing" it to RAM put another USB stick on computer and use that as a storage volume? More importantly, if I'd put a regular LiteOn USB DVD-writer on it?

About that "push" to RAM, just exactly how well it runs in there? Could it be possible to keep computer on, say, for a month with Puppy in RAM only?

I'm planning insanely great project, and if those work out-of box I'm saved from a lot of puzzling. And money.

EDIT: to enthusiasts; I'm planning to make Puppy write it automatically back on the first USB-memory after giving shutdown -h now, so I could actually just boot my computer back from USB stick and puppy would be like when I shut down the computer. Think of possiblities! Using VIA Eden chipsets, entire computer without a single moving part! Adding that feature I'm planning would make it insanely great.

Last edited by Grife; 01-09-2007 at 04:50 PM.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
crashmeister

Distribution: t2 - trying to anyway

Rep: Reputation: 47
I think you won't need to do much there since it seems like they already got that.
http://www.puppyos.com/flash-puppy.htm

Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #3
Shagbag
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu8.04, CentOS5, OpenBSD4.3

Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grife
I'm so excited about that! But tell me, how well it should go if I'd after "pushing" it to RAM put another USB stick on computer and use that as a storage volume? More importantly, if I'd put a regular LiteOn USB DVD-writer on it?
Puppy saves your session to a pup_save.2fs file. When you reboot, it looks for this file whether it be on a USB drive, hard drive, CD-RW or DVD+/-RW.

Quote:
About that "push" to RAM, just exactly how well it runs in there?
like anything in RAM - it's the fastest you'll get. If you want to see the difference, boot into Ubuntu and time how long it takes to open Firefox. Then reboot into Puppy and try it (you'll have to install Firefox on Puppy because it comes with SeaMonkey by default). The difference is astonishing on my 1GHz VIA EPIA N10000.

Quote:
Could it be possible to keep computer on, say, for a month with Puppy in RAM only?
Yes. As long as you don't power down you can keep it there ad infinitum.

Quote:
I'm planning to make Puppy write it automatically back on the first USB-memory after giving shutdown -h now, so I could actually just boot my computer back from USB stick and puppy would be like when I shut down the computer.
That's exactly what I've done with my 1GB Kingston Data Traveler USB2.0.

Quote:
Think of possiblities! Using VIA Eden chipsets, entire computer without a single moving part! Adding that feature I'm planning would make it insanely great.
Yes. You don't have to stop at USB stick. You can also install it to a Compact Flash card and use that as your IDE 'hard drive' - just plug and eject when needed!

Check out the links at Barry Kauler's web site: www.puppyos.org. My personal favourite: http://www.puppylinux.org/user/photo....php?photo=140

Don't forget you can roll your own Puppy: Puppy Unleashed

Last edited by Shagbag; 01-10-2007 at 10:26 AM.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:07 AM   #4
marksouth2000
Puppy Motivator

Distribution: Too many to mention

Rep: Reputation: 15
I don't think I've ever run Puppy for a month at a time but I have regularly had uptimes of over two weeks. My machines never stay still much longer than that so they get shut down and moved, but basically stability is not a problem.

Cheers,
Mark