LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-14-2003, 01:15 AM   #31
blais
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15

with P4P800 deluxe, some info:

i tried the 3c2000 driver, as well as the syskonnect kernel patch on a 2.4.21 kernel and the non-working google.com (and others) problem was still not solved.

(currently using it with a network card to circumvent the problem)

Old 07-14-2003, 01:50 AM   #32
candyman123

Some help...maybe.

Hi guys. I have the same card. I was having a lot of trouble too, but I did get the problem fixed. Although, I haven't had the issue of not being able to access certain sites.

I go to a lot of sites...and they all have worked.

Anyway, for those of you who haven't seen this thread...check it out. It might be of use to you. Maybe not though.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=69418

Old 07-14-2003, 03:06 AM   #33
jhaprins

Distribution: RedHat

Thread reverence

The thread you are revering to is just telling how to properly install the 3c2000.o kernel module in RedHat linux. It doen't solve the problem discussed regarding not being able to access several sites. And it seems that the syskonnect patch doesn't work for everyone either.

JH

Old 07-15-2003, 11:02 PM   #34
mozes
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Guys, it's very easy to build a standalone driver from the patch provided on www.syskonnect.de (you'll need the sk98lin_2.4.21_patch.gz). It works perfectly with RH 9, opens google and everything else. Download linux 2.4.21 from kernel.org, apply the patch, then copy drivers/net/sk98lin dir somewhere -- you'll be compiling the driver there and you don't need the kernel sources anymore, so you can remove it. Then dowload my Makefile from http://www.boylesoftware.com/~lev/Makefile and put it to the sk98lin dir, then do make, put the sk98lin.o to /lib/modules/.../drivers/net/sk98lin (it replaces the one, which is already there) and add "alias eth0 sk98lin" to your modules.conf.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:11 AM   #35
jhaprins

Distribution: RedHat

Lightbulb This looks like the sollution.

This looks like a very good idea indeed. Was allready thinking about something like that but hadn't been able to start work it out yet, probebly because the driver that is provided by Asus works perfectly for me. But I'm defenetly going to test this one as well.

Jan Hugo

Last edited by jhaprins; 07-16-2003 at 02:12 AM.

Old 07-16-2003, 03:15 AM   #36
blais
LQ Newbie

mozes,

what we're saying is not that we can't compile the syskonnect patch, rather that even with the patch (whether it is compiled into the kernel or as a module with your makefile), it doesn't seem to fix the problem for everyone.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:38 AM   #37
mozes
LQ Newbie

blais, please try again -- I used to have exactly this problem with the driver from asus and I tried everything discussed in this thread -- could not connect to google, RHN and a bunch of other web sites -- a little investigation equipped with traceroute showed that packets formed by the driver/card are discarded by some routers in the Internet (BTW that might explain why it works for those, who's connected to the Internet via NAT). But anyway, that's not the point, and the point is that as soon as I made the syskonnect driver as I described in the previous post -- everything started working for me just fine, no other changes, just the driver.

Old 07-16-2003, 07:59 AM   #38
roscop
LQ Newbie

Hi

I use a nat and packets goes out and in it nice. Only the 3c940 doesn't get the responses. Now with the patch for 2.4.21 on a vanilla it work nice with the driver in the kernel, not the asus driver.

Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #39
b10m
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Quote:
Originally posted by mozes
Guys, it's very easy to build a standalone driver from the patch provided on www.syskonnect.de (you'll need the sk98lin_2.4.21_patch.gz). It works perfectly with RH 9, opens google and everything else. Download linux 2.4.21 from kernel.org, apply the patch, then copy drivers/net/sk98lin dir somewhere -- you'll be compiling the driver there and you don't need the kernel sources anymore, so you can remove it. Then dowload my Makefile from http://www.boylesoftware.com/~lev/Makefile and put it to the sk98lin dir, then do make, put the sk98lin.o to /lib/modules/.../drivers/net/sk98lin (it replaces the one, which is already there) and add "alias eth0 sk98lin" to your modules.conf.
I had the same problems and took everything apart on my firewall, 'cause why oh why did other machines on my LAN have no problems accessing Google, and this machine did? Luckilly I found this site :-) However, I found out that it's not necessary to download the kernel (2.4.21) from kernel.org. I use Debian 3.0 with kernel 2.4.18. I went to www.syskonnect.de and downloaded the small package http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/...lin_inst_p.htm. This one is supposed to work for kernels 2.4.13 and up. And in my case, it did. Unpacked it and just ran the installer et voila! No problems anymore.Thanks guys!

Old 08-09-2003, 02:03 PM   #40
Zgwortz
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by b10m
I went to www.syskonnect.de and downloaded the small package http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/...lin_inst_p.htm. This one is supposed to work for kernels 2.4.13 and up. And in my case, it did. Unpacked it and just ran the installer et voila! No problems anymore.Thanks guys!
Okay, this one worked for me too... sortof.

I have an Abit IS7 with the same chip, and am running Mandrake 9.1. Downloading and running the installer mentioned above got me a nicely compiled driver, although I still needed to manually add it to modules.conf and run depmod -a.

I then went into Mandrake's network configuration wizard. Now, interestingly, it prompted me for a driver (something I wasn't expecting, but maybe relevant to the new problem...), and after selecting the sk98lin driver, I was off and browsing the internet just fine. No problems with any sites -- I'm using the connection right as I type this.

The problem is, every single time I reboot the machine, I lose the ethernet until I go back into the Mandrake network configuration wizard and select the driver again. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what might be causing this or how to fix it? (I'm fairly new to the Linux world, especially Mandrake, but have been using Unix and BSD for years -- there's just enough differences to throw me for a loop here... <sigh>)

--Zgwortz

Old 08-09-2003, 03:00 PM   #41
b10m
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Zgwortz
Okay, this one worked for me too... sortof.

[snip]
The problem is, every single time I reboot the machine, I lose the ethernet until I go back into the Mandrake network configuration wizard and select the driver again. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what might be causing this or how to fix it? (I'm fairly new to the Linux world, especially Mandrake, but have been using Unix and BSD for years -- there's just enough differences to throw me for a loop here... <sigh>)

--Zgwortz
I don't know Mandrake, but I think it'd solve your problems if you'd add "sk98lin" to your /etc/modules file. See the `man modules`[1] for more information.

--
B10m

[1] http://ursine.dyndns.org/cgi-bin/man/man2html?modules+5

Old 08-09-2003, 04:04 PM   #42
spagnitz
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by sam_00
Yes, i have done that :-(

My first idea when i see that the network doesn't work was to look in this readme file to verify that i done all in the good way.

In order to be sure, i have clean all the system, re-install suse linux, and re-make the network driver ... and the result was the same.

Network access seems to be ok except for some internet sites (google, ... ) :-(

sam

I have the same problems, and I know of others that have also had them. ASUS did not care that I was having problems with their onboard lan when I called their technical support dept.

My solution was to disable the onbord lan and install an intel PCI lan card, works perfectly now. No problems whatsoever.

Always liked asus,but I am very disappointed by this mobo and the $$$ they are asking for it..

Old 08-09-2003, 04:47 PM   #43
b10m
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by spagnitz
I have the same problems, and I know of others that have also had them. ASUS did not care that I was having problems with their onboard lan when I called their technical support dept.

My solution was to disable the onbord lan and install an intel PCI lan card, works perfectly now. No problems whatsoever.
That's "cheating" as far as I'm concerned. If you have hardware that could run under Linux, you must get it to work :-)

Quote:

Always liked asus,but I am very disappointed by this mobo and the $$$ they are asking for it..
I would be disappointed in myself for not reading this entire thread in which you could read how to get it to work. At least, I guess you didn't read it, 'cause you quote "sam_00" in your post. He almost started this thread!

--
B10m

Old 08-09-2003, 05:39 PM   #44
spagnitz
LQ Newbie

I read this thread smartass, do you think I should feel happy that I have to look everywhere to find that the the supplied Linux drivers are nonfunctional and I need to emulate another lan adaptor?

Do you think I should feel happy that I was poorly treated by asus tech support while attempting to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your meaningfull response (or troll not sure what to call it)..

Last edited by spagnitz; 08-09-2003 at 05:40 PM.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM   #45
Zgwortz
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by b10m
I don't know Mandrake, but I think it'd solve your problems if you'd add "sk98lin" to your /etc/modules file. See the `man modules`[1] for more information.
Aha! That did indeed fix the problem. (Although man modules didn't find a man page, but comments in the actual file told me what was up... )

Now if all my remaining driver issues go as... smoothly <cough>... as this one did, I'll be finished in no time.

Thanks,
-->Zgwortz