LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Virtualization and Cloud
User Name
Password
Linux - Virtualization and Cloud This forum is for the discussion of all topics relating to Linux Virtualization and Linux Cloud platforms. Xen, KVM, OpenVZ, VirtualBox, VMware, Linux-VServer and all other Linux Virtualization platforms are welcome. OpenStack, CloudStack, ownCloud, Cloud Foundry, Eucalyptus, Nimbus, OpenNebula and all other Linux Cloud platforms are welcome. Note that questions relating solely to non-Linux OS's should be asked in the General forum.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #1
bamunds

Distribution: Slackware64-14.2-Multilib XDM/FVWM3

Rep: Reputation: 260Reputation: 260Reputation: 260
WINE and Firefox 50.1 no plugins?

I'm trying to solve the problem that pipelight-plugin is deprecated but I still would like to watch some videos on view.yahoo.com. Two months back Linux SeaMonkey/Firefox with pipelight-plugin and enabled flash plugin would work great, and the videos would play without issue. When the latest flashplayer for Linux was released I thought I could dump the WINE-pipelight prefix and watch in native Linux Firefox with latest flash. NOP, the latest Linux Flash apparently doesn't support DRM and the view.yahoo.com requires some type of DRM support. However, when I tried to re-install the pipelight-plugin and enable flash it failed to register as a plugin for 50.1, although it is still loading into the directory. This might be a precursor to Mozilla dropping NPAPI support? Yikes. So I've spent hours in the last week, during holidays, trying to get this video on view.yahoo.com working again. Have tried all sorts of things, including re-install of hal-flash, clearing ~/.adobe, testing with adobe drm testing scripts, etc. Then came across article on Linux MINT to simply installing Firefox and Flash in WINE to get DRM support. Well.. that fails too. On my 64 bit system only Firefox 50.1 or SeaMonkey2.46 32bit will install and only flash 32 bit installs, even though I have Wine-Staging 1.9.3 64bit setup as a 64bit install with pure 64bit and WOW64 support, also have multilib installed and updated. I did set the winecfg for Win7 to assure 64 bit environment. With SeaMonkey 2.46 32bit installed with Flash, it won't start the video, because there is some DRM thing going on that blocks after the ad attempts to play and I get a message to try Firefox as a recommended browser. I'm stuck and turn to experts to help with understanding WINE, Firefox, and flash when trying to view Digitally Restricted Media. And why don't I see the same default plugins with WINE Flash as I do with native Linux Firefox/SeaMonkey, the plugin folder literally was empty. Is that because none of the applications (like Windows Media Player, Real Player, QuickTime and DivX) are installed under WINE? Is there a DRM module to install to WINE or even native Linux so the DRM will play?
System is Slackware -current 64bit with multilib installed, WINE 1.9.3 installed clean. Has anyone some clues of what to attempt? Maybe some clues on the missing DRM or widevine modules under WINE? Or am I total confused about what is needed for DRM content?
Thanks.

PS. Tonight I tried Linux Chromium with Agent Switcher set to Firefox Windows, PPAPI Flash, and DRM and the same show is working without errors or blank screen. So my quest to watch the video is solved. BUT the video does not play with Linux Firefox, NPAPI FLash. I'm wondering if this is a Firefox 50.1 issue, or a NPAPI Flash issue, since it fails only in Firefox under Linux and WINE. However, I also can't get Windows Firefox 64Bit to load under WINE without a crash. WINEHQ AppDB doesn't have testing results for Firefox beyond 43. I did try winetricks, version 20161107, but that didn't seem to help.

I've read the DRM is not supported in Linux Flash NPAPI, so that might be a problem if true, but others are saying that DRM is supported. But what about the missing plugins under WINE? Just asking for advice on how to proceed to troubleshoot the WINE install of Firefox.

Last edited by bamunds; 01-07-2017 at 11:45 AM. Reason: clarity of what was attempted.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336
Linux x86_64 flash is not getting updates, just (many, many) security fixes. Wine uses the system at some level, so I'd be pessemistic. If you must, maybe a windows VM?

Old 01-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #3
bamunds

Original Poster
Thank you for your note. However, Adobe has provided a new updated version of Flash that is in sync with the other OS versions. You might want to read the release announcement and notes on the Adobe site. Here is a link to the latest versions for all OS. https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamunds View Post
Thank you for your note. However, Adobe has provided a new updated version of Flash that is in sync with the other OS versions. You might want to read the release announcement and notes on the Adobe site. Here is a link to the latest versions for all OS. https://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Quote:
You have version 24,0,0,186 installed
But I am not running in wine and am on esr firefox instead. I guess you could the locate command to see where libflashplayer.so is coming from on your install?

Edit: If you have mlocate installed?

Last edited by rokytnji; 01-07-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
business_kid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336Reputation: 2336
Hmmph! They gave us the middle finger a few years back and said security fixes only on the x86_64 linux plugin. Now they have finally caught up. I guess they fired/transferred their linux coder(s), because he couldn't ever get it right.

I'll install it now.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
bamunds

Original Poster
While I've solved the problem of watching view.yahoo.com, by using Chromium. (In fact I removed flash-player and instead use Linux Chromium with pepper-flash, Agent Switcher set to Firefox Windows, and DRM) I haven't solve the issue of the missing plugins when installing Firefox under WINE. Is this a known issue with WINE and Firefox plugins?

Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #7
business_kid
LQ Guru

Interestingly, I installedthe latest plugin in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins, and I got the SCSI problem too. SCSI = System Can't See It :-). This solved it
Code:
cd /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
ln -s libflashplayer.so kcm_adobe_flash_player.so
That was what the last plugin was called.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:51 PM   #8
bamunds

Original Poster
You might be mis-understanding my issue. It is not that Slackware's native OS and Linux version of Flash couldn't be seen, it was installed and working with Firefox 50.1 for most sites, but not for view.yahoo.com. What is not working to watch DRM material is FLash for Windows installed under WINE. It installs to the WINE folders properly, but the Widevine Google DRM and other standard plugins which come automatically with Firefox are not present. I'm wondering if others, installing Flash to WINE have seen the same issue with Firefox plugins?

Old 01-10-2017, 03:58 AM   #9
business_kid
LQ Guru

I never bother with firefox under wine; Why emulate a dodgy OS when you have a good one?

In slackware, I tried view.yahoo.com. I was presented with several extremely missable video clips, and some categories. It detected I am in Ireland, and it only streams to the Excited States, so I was refused access. But at least it thought about it, so I got past the "does he have flash?" check.

Wine is good at what it does, but a VM is a better option for that sort of thing. If this is a big deal for you, get 50-100G of disk space and install a VM.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
bamunds

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply. However, my particular CPU (Intel Pentium D 820) doesn't have virtualization support hooks, so at best I'm going to get a slow processing speed from any VM so I'd rather stick with Linux native applications. Also since the VM requires a full license for the product and I don't really want to invest the time, HD space or cash to create a VM, I'll stick with WINE.

The fact is I still don't know the reason that Firefox when installed under WINE didn't include the standard plugins? Again Flash was installed, but nothing else! Is this normal for Firefox Windows when installed under WINE? Same for SeamMonkey, it saw Flash, but no other plugins. I suspect it is because the bare/clean new-born WINE environment doesn't include certain plugin based apps like RealPlayer, QuickTime, DivX and others, thus no Gecko based plugins are installed to be found by Firefox and SeaMonkey when they install themselves. Can anyone verify this, maybe just try installing Firefox (windows) 50.1 into a new WINE prefix and tell show me your plugin results? Cheers.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:56 PM   #11
ondoho
LQ Addict

Rep: Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053Reputation: 6053
i think this has sth to do with drm protected content and not so much with the plugins themselves.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #12
jkirchner

Distribution: Pop!_OS

Rep: Reputation: 297Reputation: 297Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by business_kid View Post
I never bother with firefox under wine; Why emulate a dodgy OS when you have a good one?

In slackware, I tried view.yahoo.com. I was presented with several extremely missable video clips, and some categories. It detected I am in Ireland, and it only streams to the Excited States, so I was refused access. But at least it thought about it, so I got past the "does he have flash?" check.

Wine is good at what it does, but a VM is a better option for that sort of thing. If this is a big deal for you, get 50-100G of disk space and install a VM.
I went to the yahoo site as well (figured I'd try since I am in USA) and was able to watch videos without issue in Firefox. I also have Amazon prime and watch videos there without issue in Firefox. All I did was enable DRM content in preferences/content, restart Firefox and all is well.

OP: Is there specific content at view.yahoo.com you cannot access? I was watching a few TV shows without issue.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #13
bamunds

Original Poster
@Jkirchner, Thank you for the feedback. Remember my question is about Firefox under WINE, not the native Firefox. I've solved how to watcvh view.yahoo.com with Chromium. So would you please clarify under what configuration you are testing? Specifically which version of Ubuntu, WINE, Firefox, what plugins were loaded? For example, I'm using Slackware 64bit -current branch, WINE 1.8.6, Firefox 50.1 32-bit, with DRM set to on, and Flash 24.0.0.202 installed as plugins set to active.

I'm trying to solve the problem under WINE, not under Linux native browser. (Although it is interesting that LINUX native browser Chromium works and Konqueror and Firefox don't.) I still believe this has to do with Hulu, which yahoo is subscribing to, has decided to use CDM for DRM enforcement. I don't believe this is a Flash issue, but rather a CDM/DRM issue. I've reviewed Adobe statement on CDM and DRM https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm and believe that there is an issue with Firefox under WINE not downloading the Adobe Primetime or Google Widevine plugins to be downloaded, setup, and activated. Perhaps it is a permission issue or security issue with Slackware's WINE version and LINUX native browsers. If it is working for you under native Ubuntu and Ubuntu's WINE browsers, I'll next investigate permission issues.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #14
LQ Addict

Distribution: Debian Sid AMD64, Raspbian Wheezy, various VMs

Rep: Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373Reputation: 2373
I saw a mention of pipelight -- if that wasn't irrelevant then you're not likely to get anything running as that's a Silverlight workaround.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM   #15
bamunds

Original Poster
UPDATE: Since post 13 I've re-opened Linux native Firefox 50.1 and turned off DRM, then restarted Firefox and turned on DRM playback. Surprise view.yahoo.com now plays on Firefox also. While this resolved the issue with Firefox natively running on Slackware Linux 64 -current version. It doesn't address Firefox executing through WINE, specifically Firefox 50.1 Windows version and the missing plugins, including when turning DRM on the lack of the CDM/DRM downloads.