LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
ogross74
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Tv (vga/xga) Doesn't Display, need switch to low resolution?

Hi there,
I have a problem that repeats itself in both my IBM Thinkpad T42p and my Arsus Entertainment Center (a cool PC with advanced Video Card, looks like a stereo system... meant to sit in your leaving room next to your Stereo).
I am plugging my Toshiba 43JS9UE (see http://www.toshiba.com.sg/__48256BAC...ts/TSPS-64M5JZ) TV to the VGA output. The problem is once I am past the text mode the screen is black and never comes back (when I tried to install Fedora on the Arsus, even in text mode I got a black screen right in the beginning of the installation, see http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...ad.php?t=65265).
I am pretty much sure the problem is with the resolution, the TV obviously requires a lower resolution than my laptop/PC supports (it doesn't help if I set it up to a low resolution and than reboot).
Currently the Arsus runs Windows Media Center and the TV displays the screen fine, I also have an old ThinkPad that the TV works fine with. Seems like I need a way to tell my laptop/PC that the monitor (TV) requires a low resolution. If someone that knows Fedora well reads this, here is a hint, the grub window shows fine, but nothing after that...

Please help me get rid of the Media Center...
Thanks, Oren

Old 08-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #2
archtoad6

Distribution: MEPIS, Debian, Knoppix,

Rep: Reputation: 234Reputation: 234Reputation: 234
Sounds like your screen resolution is off. You can test that w/ Ctrl-Alt-numpad_plus & Ctrl-Alt-numpad_minus (Number pad keys only, please). If this works, your physical screen will become a window onto a larger virtual desktop. As you move your mouse to the edge of the screen, the "window" will pan over said virtual desktop. If this is the case, you will need to fix the screen resolution. 1st you might try an addition to the kernel parameters passed by the bootloader, but ultimately you will have to fix your X config file. (Sorry, don't ask me how to do that.)

Hope this is at least a little helpful.