LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
BFEINZIMER
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Fedora Core 4, Red Hat 9

Rep: Reputation: 15
Samba, Windows XP Pro w/SP2, FC4

Hey Linux community,

I just typed 2 paragraphs and hit a key, and all went bye-bye! Dam!

Anyways...

I'm running FC4 from FC3 and did a fresh install. My other machine is a hard-wired Windows XP Professional w/SP2.

I've experenced sevral problems and resolved all of them but sevral.

Each is using a fixed IP and hostname, no DHCP. I'm using a Linksys router, and for testing purposes I disabeled all firewalls on either computer to make sure they wernt issues in my problem.

Firstly, I was exprencing that my 2 printers connected to my FC4 box, an parrlell port HP LaserJet 4 and an USB HP PSC 950, were not sharing correctly in Windows. I could connect though adding them with a URL, "http://FLS1:631/printers/HP_LaserJet_4", but when adding them through browsing the network as \\FLS1\HP_LaserJet_4", it would say it could nto connect and access was denied. I messed witha few setting and now both methods work.

I can view the Linux shares from my Windows machine and write to them.

I have a partationed 60Gb hard drive to 30GB's each. Although say I only want to offer 5GB's on the network_share folder or my Linux box. How would I set a quota for that?

My main problem is that I cannot view my Windows shares from Linux. I was able to on FC3 with SMB4K. Now in FC4 I cannot from GNOME, or SMB4K. In SMB4K, the machine shows up but nothing under the "+" when I extend it. I tried changing my windows username from "Brian Feinzimer" to "brian_feinzimer" and adding into Linux and then making it a Samba user with the same password. I also tried that in the authantication with SMB4K but to no avail. I re-did the setting to share for windows and disabeled all firewalls but to no avail. I still have my linux firewall disabeled so I can use SMB4K to see anypart of the network. If you could post the exact line I need to post in the firewall port exception page of FC4 that would also help.

Plese help me, I'm only 15 but enjoy working wiht this while still having a life !

Haha, well thanks. Here's my smb.conf (link) file just in case!

Thanks!

I can be contaced best by e-mail at brian@bfserver.com.

Let me know if there's any other info you all need!

-Brian Feinzimer

SEE THIS AT:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...030#post292030
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pos...25.html#243025

Last edited by BFEINZIMER; 06-25-2005 at 05:12 AM.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #2
BFEINZIMER
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I did a little work with Ethereal and took this screenshot to show you a possible error...

http://www.bfserver.com/images/e_error.png

Old 09-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #3
BFEINZIMER
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Smaba Quota

I have partationed a 60GB hard drive to 30GB's each. Although I only want to offer around 20GB's on the "NETWORK_SHARE" folder to my Windows boxes through Samba. How would I set a quota for that?

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
phobox

Distribution: Debian Knoppix Kanotix Sidux

win printer shares must be accessed as 'guest'