LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #16
shassouneh

Distribution: SuSE Linux Professional 9.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30

Thanx for all the feedback everyone. Certainly MUCH appreciated. I have attempted to re compile the kernel before, and I cna tell you its no walk in the park. When (and IF) it does work, then the modules won't load. Its a huge pain in the arse. So much of a pain that I (a computer scientist with some Linux experience) refuse to recompile the kernel. If the feature cannot work without a recompile then i won't bother with it.

Also, I found out that many things work on "different" distros without needing a recompile. So I will switch back to SuSE and see if it works.

Thanx again for all the feedback

Old 04-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #17
jrasmussen0
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
I was able to get the Syntax USB-400 wireless USB to work under Debian Linux by downloading and building the linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre20 modules with all drivers.

You are going to need the source code to your kernel at /usr/src/linux (create the symbolic link or rename the folder). Copy your distributions configuration file from the /boot/ folder (Debian names it something like config-2.6.5). You will have to have some kernel parts compiled in order for the linux-wlan-ng module to work. I ended up creating a whole new kernel.

Run the ./Configure from the linux-wlan-ng folder. It asks you some basic setup questions and attempts to load everything. This didn't work for me. I then ran 'make all' and 'make install' to have all modules built and installed into the correct /lib/modules/'uname -r'/ folder. Run 'depmod' and 'modprobe -l | grep prism' to see if you have the prism2_usb module. Then load the module with 'modprobe prism2_usb', the 80211b driver also will get loaded.

I was also able to have hotplug (http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/) recognize my toy by copying the output of 'cat /lib/modules/'uname -r'/modules.usbmap | grep prism2_usb' to /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap. I think this is what I used 'cat /lib/modules/'uname -r'/modules.usbmap | grep prism2_usb >> /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap'

Now I don't have to have the USB-400 plugged into my laptop until I am ready to use it.

To have it connect to a wireless network, I had to change the /etc/network/interfaces to include:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless_mode managed
wireless_essid default

#default was the name of my router I wanted to connect to.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:25 AM   #18
shassouneh

Distribution: SuSE Linux Professional 9.2

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
eww

Quote:
Originally posted by shassouneh
Thanx for all the feedback everyone. Certainly MUCH appreciated. I have attempted to re compile the kernel before, and I cna tell you its no walk in the park. When (and IF) it does work, then the modules won't load. Its a huge pain in the arse. So much of a pain that I (a computer scientist with some Linux experience) refuse to recompile the kernel. If the feature cannot work without a recompile then i won't bother with it.

Also, I found out that many things work on "different" distros without needing a recompile. So I will switch back to SuSE and see if it works.

Thanx again for all the feedback
Eww, compile from source. 99.5% that fails on me for some silly reason or the other.
Thank you for your valuable feedback and reply. Much appreciated