LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-04-2004, 12:58 PM   #1
waiser
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 15
Thumbs up I How made my D-Link DWL 510 work under Linux

Ok, I had much problems configuring it, so I thought others are having them too...
Here is how to made a D-Link DWL 510 (OBVIOUSLY NOT SUPPORTED under Linux) work under this system. Note that the procedure I'm going to explain worked for me under Fedora Core (1 maybe 2, didn't understood the version thing, it's the one you find now at RedHat.com), it DID NOT WORK UNDER SUSE 9.0 (but this is just for me, and I assure you that I'm almost a complete newbie with Linux, since I do not like it very much.... anyways), and I do not know what will be the result under other distros... just pray you have the good one.

Now, I used ndiswrapper 7.0 (download from ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net), so I unpacked with gzip -d and tar -xf, then make install inside its dir, then I installed the drivers from the card CD - i also tried the rtl8180 for winxp and many other, no result - with the command

ndiswrapper -i /mnt/cdrom1/Driver/Drivers/dontremember.inf.

at this point i took a look to ndiswrapper -l to see if it was present, and it was. good!
Next thing I did was loading the module. Here is something interesting: under Fedora Core if you su in the xterm while common mortal (normal user) you have root privileges but most commands do not work, maybe because paths are not set?. So CTRL+ALT+F5 and log in as root to have success in any case (you may use F4, F3 or any other F, just remember that X is under F7).

modprobe ndiswrapper

There should be no problem but here comes the annoying thing. Keyboard stops responding. Well, at least it seems so, because actually IT RESPONDS, just after some seconds. This comes to be fixed when the card associates with the AP. Anyways, just type in as follows, without looking at the output (you probably won't see anything)

iwconfig wlan0 channel x where x is your channel, for me it was 6,
check the manual on the cd, it is told there.

iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
iwconfig wlan0 key off
iwconfig wlan0 enc off
iwconfig wlan0 essid default

wait a while and then type in

iwconfig wlan0

and check the AP address. If it is not FF:FF:FF etc etc you should be associated to your AP (or maybe your neighbour's one, who knows?)
Now keyborad should also respond as it was meant to...
Type in

ndiswrapper -m

to save the whole thing. Still not finished yet with you, read on.
Now we have to edit the /etc/modules.conf to remove the alias ndiswrapper, or your system will take so many time to boot that you will think to a crash...
So use your favourite text editor (you can CTRL+ALT+F7 back to X) to edit AS ROOT /etc/modules.conf and remove (or comment) the line with alias ndiswrapper.
Then go into system's network card configuration and configure a new wireless card. Tadan! There you see it, the ndiswrapper card! Just tell him everything is ok as it is and you have a new configured card. It is time to bring it up and make it work, so get back to CTRL+ALT+F5 and type in

ifup wlan0

you should see it work for a little while. After this you are connected and operational. The only annoying thing is that everytime you boot you have to:

CTRL+ALT+F5
modprobe ndiswrapper
CTRL+C what he starts doing after some seconds (we will do it later)
iwconfig wlan0 channel x
iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
bla bla bla until it is associated with the AP (so when the keyb responds for more than 10 seconds)
ifup wlan0

Eventually, it may happen that it loses connection. Get back to F5, ifdown wlan0 and repeat the process from iwconfig wlan0 channel x until it reasocciates, then again ifup...

Hope this helped you, if someone has better suggestions I would also apreciate to see my keyboard working right (this problem was there also with SuSE)...
Have fun,
Waiser

Old 05-14-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
sinaen
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 0
hmm... i doesnt seem to get the module, i have the same card, but well modprobe/modconf, doesn't seem to find the module, is there som tips you got?,
or should i get another wlan card?

//sin

Old 05-14-2004, 11:25 AM   #3
LuggerHouse

Distribution: Fedora Core 7

Rep: Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by sinaen
hmm... i doesnt seem to get the module, i have the same card, but well modprobe/modconf, doesn't seem to find the module, is there som tips you got?,
or should i get another wlan card?

//sin
Maybe this could help you... Seems like a walktrough installation of that WiFi card :-)
Good luck!!
http://www.canit.se/~oli/wl/

Old 05-17-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
sinaen
LQ Newbie

not really

my card is a PCI-card.. ;/

Old 05-17-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
LuggerHouse

Distribution: Fedora Core 7

Rep: Reputation: 30
....... ...........

Google miss lead me

Old 05-17-2004, 10:37 AM   #6
sinaen
LQ Newbie

No problem, i hope i can find some way to do it..

it's an dwl-510 card..

but i think of selling it,or something..and get an real isp..

Old 05-17-2004, 01:29 PM   #7
david_ross

Distribution: Slackware, RedHat, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 79
Moved: This thread is more suitable in Wireless Networking and has been moved accordingly to help your thread/question get the exposure it deserves.