LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
Kylotan
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 0
Can't install GeForce drivers on 10CE

I installed Mandrake 10 community edition but can't boot into X because it doesn't have drivers for my graphics card (GeForce 2 MX 200).

The provided drivers do not work and have never worked since version 9.1 - the suggested GeForce drivers either fail with a cryptic message or end up switching off my monitor. The other 'nv' driver switches off the monitor without fail.

On the other hand the official nvidia drivers have always worked once installed. However the current drivers are not compatible with my kernel. It attempts to download an updated precompiled version from nvidia.com and fails. (I believe it requires kernel source headers for this.) Then it attempts to build one itself and fails there too.

So I have 2 pleas for help:
- Can someone give me a hint on how to either get hold of that precompiled file to let the nvidia driver work on this version?
- Or tell me which rpm I need to install in order to let it compile one for itself?

If I can't fix this I'm pretty much Linux-less for the foreseeable future so any help would be much appreciated.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:20 AM   #2
GrEEk_OuTcAsT
LQ Newbie

I solved the problem by installing the Kernel Source so that the Nvidia drivers could recompile them. Go to System Configuration in KDE then install software, and then select from the Alphabetical List, the Kernel Source file (search for Ke* etc). Make sure you select the one that as it mentions, is in the CD3. (I Think). Not the downloadable version.

Install drivers and then make sure you have changed the X file(Im in windows right now, I dont remember the name) from "nv" to "nvidia".

Old 04-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #3
Kylotan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the answer but I don't think you read all my post. I can't get into KDE at all, because none of the geforce drivers that come with Mandrake work. If you could give me the name of the kernel source package though, I might be able to install it with rpm at the command line.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Arbitor

Distribution: SuSE 10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Kylotan,

At the command prompt, su into root. At the root prompt, type:

urpmi kernel-source

You should then be asked to insert CD3. Insert CD3, then wait while the kernel source is copied over to the hard drive. After that's done and you've already downloaded the driver .run from Nvidia , cd to the directory where you downloaded it to and type

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

If you're using a different driver version for some reason, just substitute that name in. Make sure you're doing this in root, too. If it asks you about checking online for a precompiled kernel interface (or something like that), choose no, then tell it to compile it. Since you just installed the kernel source, your computer should now be able to compile the interface itself. When it's done, it should say everything done successfully, blah blah blah. Now that the driver is compiled, type:

emacs /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

You may have to leave off the "-4", but probably not. In there, look for a line with:

Driver "nv" or Driver "vesa" and change it to Driver "nvidia"

In the Module section, make sure you have (and that it is not commented out, meaning that it has a # to the left of it--there might be one to the right of it, but that's OK):

Load "glx"

You should also remove the following lines if they exist:

Load "dri"
Load "GLcore"

Next hit ctrl-x, ctrl-c, then y (for yes), and you should be done. Reboot the computer and you should be set to go with your new drivers. You should see a quick white screen with the nvidia logo in the middle during X11 initalization if the driver is functioning properly, I believe.

Anybody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning a lot of this myself. Nvidia's full driver installation instructions are here. If this doesn't help, Kylotan, I'm afraid I can't be of any more help.

Arb

Old 04-30-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
Kylotan
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Arbitor, that worked perfectly; I now have a working installation. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
Arbitor

Distribution: SuSE 10

Rep: Reputation: 15
Glad I could help

Arb

Old 06-23-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
Spymaster
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10

Hey guys

So glad I found this Post I'm also struggling installing the Nvidia Drivers For my FX5600 256MB card
Will try this and hope it works to get my GUI up and running.

Must say i'm still a newbie to Linux.

Hope it works

thanks