LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2003, 02:25 AM   #1
whitefox

Distribution: slackware 9.1

Rep: Reputation: 15
CDrom cannnot read.

i downloaded the iso file and burnt it onto a CD, all these were done in WinXP.

when i try to install slackware 9.0, selecting install media,
setup program could not detect my cdrom automatically.
=>install failed.

my cd drive is SONY CDU5211 ( anyway i dont know what that means).

WHat should i do?

Old 04-19-2003, 03:16 AM   #2
Mega Man X
LQ Guru

Distribution: Ubuntu, FreeBSD, Solaris, DSL

Rep: Reputation: 65
Did you try to boot directly from the CD? Go into ur bios and change the boot sequence (usually diskette, HD and CD rom) to CD rom and start the computer with slackware CD in the drive...
If fails, you might need a disk boot... but it usually works...
If you already have tried those, I've no idea what to do

Good Luck

Old 04-19-2003, 03:43 AM   #3
whitefox

Distribution: slackware 9.1

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
I tried to boot from CD, but the computer ignored the CD and booted from hard disk.

Old 04-19-2003, 05:29 AM   #4
whansard

Distribution: RH 6.2, Gen2, Knoppix,arch, bodhi, studio, suse, mint

Rep: Reputation: 65
did you burn the iso as a big file, or did you
burn it as a cdrom image? you have to burn
the file as a image for it to work. if you just have
a big something.iso file on the cdrom, it will not work.

Old 04-19-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
zsejk

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 30
Just my two cents: I downloaded the iso image on a Mac, and was thinking of burning it using that iso creation Unix command I have now forgotten (yes yes... I'm sorry ), but Apple's Unix apparently doesn't carry that particular command. What I did instead is just have the image mounted on my Mac (I know this might not work on Windows, but then again... maybe it will), and then copied that mounted "device". I had to leave off KDE 'cause it was too big for my CD, but after that I just had all files copied and burned onto the CD. Then during installation (off of floppies containing bare.i and install.1 and install.2) I had it automatically check for the CD, et voila! It found it.

So basically I would try to somehow mount or open the downloaded image, and then just burn that onto a CD and see what happens. My CD did not boot either (I used the bare.i floppy as boot disk), but it did get detected during installation.

Hope this helps, or that someone can explain it better in relation to a Mac mounting.

-zsejk

EDIT: the command I was talking about is <mkisofs> which you need to do to make a bootable Slackware CD; as I mentioned, that didn't work for me, but I *did* manage to burn all the files contained within the image onto a CD

Last edited by zsejk; 04-19-2003 at 06:45 PM.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Excalibur

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 46
If the CD did not boot, then I assume you made the bootdisk and the two rootdisks to boot the system. Once it is booted, you could attempt to mount the CD manually. You will need to know the CD drive device or just try them to determine. The command would be;

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdd /cdrom

Since the hard disk is normally /dev/hda then the CD drive will need to be hdb, hdc, or hdd if attached to the motherboard IDE connectors. You can scroll the kernel messages back up using [shift][pgup] to review what the kernel posted during boot. Pay attention to the IDE section and see if it detected the CD drive and also reported what the device would be. When the CD is mounted the system should report that is a read-only system and simply return to the system prompt.

If you are able to mount the CD, then you should be able to view the slackware tree where Slack is to be installed. Use the following command to view the CD contents;

ls -l /cdrom/slackware

It should report a structure of directories like a,ap,d,e,f,gnome, etc. This is what the setup program is looking for. If this tree is viewable, then run setup again and select that the media is mounted, I think it will ask for the location then provide "/cdrom". It should be able to proceed.