LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Networking This forum is for any issue related to networks or networking.
Routing, network cards, OSI, etc. Anything is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
moonmoth

Distribution: Fedora Core 15

Rep: Reputation: 17
How do I keep gateway route across restarts?

I've been having some problems switching from using static addresses to using dynamic addresses. Most of these seem to have been ironed out, thanks to help that I have gotten here. For which I am eternally grateful.

But to fix the problem and be able to access the internet, I have to type "/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 192.168.2.1" every time after booting up. It is not all that difficult, of course, but there must be some way not to have to do it every time.

I tried entering that command in /etc/rc.d/rc.local but that didn't do the job. "netstat -rn" shows no gateway after the system restarts.

I then tried entering "GATEWAY=192.168.2.1" in /etc/sysconfig/network but that didn't do the job either. "netstat -rn" shows no gateway after restart.

I suspect there might be some sort of basic reconfiguration necessary, but do not know what it is. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
camorri
LQ 5k Club

Distribution: Slackware 15.0, current, slackware-arm-currnet

Rep: Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849Reputation: 849
I entered a default gateway using WebMin. It works like a charm. The only thing I can nit tell you is what file gets updated.

Old 09-04-2005, 06:11 AM   #3
rmic
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi,

You talk about using dynamic ip addresses, are you using a dhcp server ? You could add a line in its configuration file to define automatically the default gateway. (option routers 192.168.2.1)

If not, did you take a look at the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-* files ?

To get these files to work, simply create a file named route-<dev> in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ directory. Replace <dev> with your device name (eth0 for example)

This file should contain one line like the following :

0.0.0.0/0 via 192.168.2.1

Hope this helps...
rmic

Old 09-04-2005, 07:35 AM   #4
moonmoth

Distribution: Fedora Core 15

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 17
Thanks. That might very well do it, and I'll check it out. For now, I have solved the problem by just changing the eth0 configuration on each Linux box back to using static addresses (since the IP address they have been assigned by the router will not change), and manually entering the IP address, the gateway address and the DNS server addresses. Not elegant, but it take care of the problem. Thanks again.