LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2002, 04:36 PM   #1
Panzergrenadier
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 9

Rep: Reputation: 0
Red Hat 8.0 and ASUS A7N266-VM/AA

I'm having trouble using anaconda (graphic installer) on a system with an ASUS nForce chipset MB. The installer tries to probe but finds no VGA system to set up XFree86. I tried the text mode but that failed as well

Old 11-27-2002, 05:30 PM   #2
cyclopab
LQ Newbie

Hi,

I had problems with the gui install screens too. I used a text install instead and selected the text login option (this at least lets me get into the system without it hanging). I'm doing a workstation type installation and selected a few things that I wanted. Install found the video card but I can't startx, the computer just hangs. I played with some bios settings, but that didn't help, the computer reacted the same.

There are some instructions and rpm and tar drivers for this motherboard at
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=li...splay_1.0-3123
but they are listed for redhat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3, no 8.0. I will hunt for more info then maybe I will try installing them and let you know what happened.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:48 PM   #3
Panzergrenadier
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Redhat 9

Original Poster
Thanx

I'll continue searching as well. If I learn anything I'll post it here.

Old 11-28-2002, 07:02 AM   #4
cyclopab
LQ Newbie

It's nice to see the X screen come up! It's _so_ GUI it's slimey! This is what I did to make it work...

For the Asus A7N266-VM motherboard and Redhat 8.0.

When installing, choose a text install. When asked for graphic or text login, choose text. Finish the install.

Now you will need the following files NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
and
nvidia_glx-1.0-3123.i386.rpm.
You can find them at
ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-3123
Save the README file at the bottom of the list.

Login as root and in the directory where you placed the rpm files follow the instructions in (sec-02) INSTALLING THE NVIDIA_KERNEL AND NVIDIA_GLX PACKAGES, under INSTALLING/UPGRADING BY SRPM. I had to use rpmbuild.

Now you have to follow the instructions in (sec-03) EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE.

You can then startx.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:35 PM   #5
igor27
LQ Newbie

Tek pocinjem da radim u Linux-u. Da li mozes da mi das tacno komande koje treba da izvrsim posto ih neznam a ne mogu da pokrenem X windows. Problem mi je sa plocom a7n266-vm. Skinuo sam potrebne fajlove ali ni uz readme koji sam skinuo ne mogu da odradim kako valja.

Old 10-07-2003, 05:53 PM   #6
argWolf
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian (and derivatives), Mandrake

A7N266-VM/AA linux distributions.

I have a question, is there a debian build for this motherboard or a slackware? What about a live cd?

I have a system built around this motherboard but I seem to be getting a lot of corruption both in the display and the files copied. I suspect its a Windows driver issue and not a hardware issue, I would like to try it out with a linux distribution. Preferably something that is a live cd but that also puts some of its information on the hdd.

I sent the motherboard back once, and got a new one in exchange, but these video artifacts still come up. (windows 2k).
I have changed EVERYTHING else including the case of all things.

Anybody got any ideas?

thanks for the help in advance

argWolf