LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2016, 04:42 PM   #1
iPad

Distribution: iPadLinux

Rep: Reputation: 45
Suggestion: give greeter "Moderator", to fix my first post

This is a uniquely superb website, and I mean no disrespect! My first post needed reposting, with zero replys.
I would like to suggest that the person who greets me be chosen as a "Moderator" (if that person is willing).
Thank you!

Last edited by iPad; 10-14-2016 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Clarify and remove names, to be polite.

Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Timothy Miller

Distribution: Debian, EndeavourOS, OpenSUSE, KDE Neon

Rep: Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521Reputation: 1521
So every post can be changed to be religous propaganda? No thanks!!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
timl

Distribution: Fedora,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 156Reputation: 156
Amazing. The OP's first post and he already has a deep insight into the members of the forum.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #4
dugan
LQ Guru

Distribution: distro hopper

Rep: Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320Reputation: 5320
aardvark71 needs to pass a test first

Last edited by dugan; 10-13-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #5
iPad

Original Poster

Ok, sorry. I was trying to get help for my post. Sorry.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #6
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Distribution: SuSE, RedHat, Slack,CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPad View Post
Ok, sorry. I was trying to get help for my post. Sorry.
You get help by posting a question with full details, on a relevant website. Since an iPad does NOT run any form of Linux, period, this isn't the right place to come. You're having problems with your iPad actually working correctly with Java in a proprietary browser. Nothing anyone here can do for you.

Also note that ardvark71 DID NOTHING to help you, and in fact, made it MORE DIFFICULT for people to see it and/or even try to help you. When he posted his 'helpful' message, it removed your post from the zero-reply list, making it less visible.

Last edited by TB0ne; 10-13-2016 at 06:18 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
jefro

Rep: Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625Reputation: 3625
Kind of a question for Jeremy.

I think it is still the forum members duty to try to be civil.

I have no opinion as to who a mod is by the way. I don't own this site. (seems like I do sometimes huh?) I don't care who is a mod as long as they try to be fair and civil.

Used to be on a different forum where the mods were petty and trivial and really plain old mean. I hope that LQ stays friendly.

Last edited by jefro; 10-13-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
frankbell
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with

Rep: Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142Reputation: 6142
I will second what jefro said, and add "unbiased" to "fair and civil."

Old 10-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
ntubski

Distribution: Debian, Arch

Rep: Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081Reputation: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB0ne View Post
You get help by posting a question with full details, on a relevant website. Since an iPad does NOT run any form of Linux, period, this isn't the right place to come. You're having problems with your iPad actually working correctly with Java in a proprietary browser. Nothing anyone here can do for you.
The post is in the non-Nix forum, and there might be someone who can help. Less likely than on a site dedicated to Mac, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPad (on the other thread) View Post
I made the mistake of asking Jeremy to make you a Moderator so YOU[ardvark71] could do that.
And out came, ummm, hostility. Sorry.
Your request kind of landed in the middle of some the arguments about religious themed posting (see post #91 and replies), unfortunately. Not a good time for moderator nominations.

Last edited by ntubski; 10-15-2016 at 08:44 AM. Reason: missed word

Old 10-14-2016, 01:44 AM   #10
iPad

Original Poster

I'm not a he, fyi. Not that that matters....

To tbone: my first post DID have full details on what I did, and clear pictures. ANY iPad can duplicate it in one minute, after free anon account there.

The GREETER wrote in it, causing it to have a reply without answer, because they couldn't move it. Yes, I put it in the wrong place.

I have learned that iPads don't have the Java language. I get a noJava msg when I try those options.
JavaScript seems to be something ELSE, INside my Safari.
I can even watch, on my iPad, if in same house, while someone else types in that noVNC on Windows.
But no keyboard comes up on my iPad.
In the telnet 2nd picture, clicking on the ifNOkeyboard box, brings up the keyboard ok.

The SHOUTER here? I'm not allowed text-speak lol.
OK, I like your advice to NOT mess with Linux. Bye.

Update: post #6 is now GONE, for me! Hurray ignore list!

Last edited by iPad; 10-14-2016 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Update...

Old 10-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #11
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965Reputation: 7965
Quote:

To tbone: my first post DID have full details on what I did, and clear pictures. ANY iPad can duplicate it in one minute, after free anon account there.
Read the "Question Guidelines" link...you say "ANY iPad"...version of IOS? What keyboard app are you using? Etc. And asking people to sign up for a service so they can duplicate/troubleshoot your problem is a bit much. Especially when your problem has nothing to do with Linux, but everything to do with your iPad and/or the way that website works.
Quote:
The GREETER wrote in it, causing it to have a reply without answer, because they couldn't move it. Yes, I put it in the wrong place.
You didn't make SO much of a mistake...the problem with it is that ardvark71 does things like that CONSTANTLY, and doesn't even bother trying to help someone who's asked for help. Again, he caused you to get LESS help...so asking for him to be a moderator is kind of ironic.
Quote:
I have learned that iPads don't have the Java language. I get a noJava msg when I try those options. JavaScript seems to be something ELSE, INside my Safari. I can even watch, on my iPad, if in same house, while someone else types in that noVNC on Windows. But no keyboard comes up on my iPad. In the telnet 2nd picture, clicking on the ifNOkeyboard box, brings up the keyboard ok.
Did you try Chrome on your iPad, instead of Safari?
Quote:
The SHOUTER here? I'm not allowed text-speak lol. OK, I like your advice to NOT mess with Linux. Bye. Update: post #6 is now GONE, for me! Hurray ignore list!
Excellent...if you're going to ignore the forum rules about text-speak, ignore the question guidelines, and otherwise act like a child when people try to help you with something not even related to Linux...on a LINUX FORUM, that's great. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #12
rtmistler

Distribution: MINT Debian, Angstrom, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian

Rep: Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930Reputation: 4930
Quote:

I have learned that iPads don't have the Java language. I get a noJava msg when I try those options.
JavaScript seems to be something ELSE, INside my Safari.
I can even watch, on my iPad, if in same house, while someone else types in that noVNC on Windows.
But no keyboard comes up on my iPad.
In the telnet 2nd picture, clicking on the ifNOkeyboard box, brings up the keyboard ok.

The SHOUTER here? I'm not allowed text-speak lol.
OK, I like your advice to NOT mess with Linux. Bye.

Update: post #6 is now GONE, for me! Hurray ignore list!
It does matter that you're a lady versus a man, sorry that someone made an incorrect assumption, but I get that you are not hung up on that triviality.

Welcome to the forums, and sorry that your introduction hasn't gone so very smoothly up to this point.

Yes, please do not use text speak, the reason is that it varies and is potentially confusing. Similar reason why the request is that all posts be in English language.

As far as your other thread, I do not have recommendations not having an iPad; however the description seems unclear. Perhaps adding a new post to that thread to re-explain your problem. Maybe re-post the attachments, and clarify what your exact problem is. I'm guessing that you can't get the numeric keypad to show? There is a keypad, just the letters.

A very clear subject line as well as equally clear problem description will be helpful.

If someone does reply and you feel that their content is inappropriate, please do click REPORT to contact a moderator and alert them to your thoughts.

Some suggestions I have are to diagnose if the keypad will go away when you touch the mini-keyboard icon on the lower right, or to try using the microphone to get numbers. Although if you need a number for a password it may be difficult and you may get an enter occurring when you speak, thus not your intent.

Best of luck!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:10 AM   #13
iPad

Original Poster

Tbone partly reedemed themself in my first Thread, by giving me the right searchword, leading me to a better and obvious one.

Just because I mention the idea of someone trying something, does not force someone to shout against it.
I will go search for a rule against shouting here. I think I figured out how, but all that bold, caps-lock, font stuff seems hardly worth wasting my time.

I bet there is a rule against replying without fully reading a post: I never said RUN Linux on iPad, and my 2nd picture of telnet clearly showed my login, to try Linux. Several months of reading here gives me the feeling that trying to run linux has a 50-50 chance of wiping out ones computer! I don't want to pick a fight with that feeling, so please don't ...
I will also go search for a rule against one picking fights with their replys.

Thank you all. This bumpy ride is still fun.
Signed, child ...to quote namecalling in ignored post #11

Last edited by iPad; 10-15-2016 at 04:17 AM.

Old 10-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #14
iPad

Original Poster

Solution suggestion to fix what initially caused all this!

Restrict certain users from being the first to reply in that Welcome-new-user forum.
They can still be the second-on-up reply =#3&up post there, and can still do a first reply in any other forum.

Partly because a signature may be mistaken by a new user, as representing LQ!

Last edited by iPad; 10-15-2016 at 04:43 AM.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
TB0ne
LQ Guru

Quote:
Tbone partly reedemed themself in my first Thread, by giving me the right searchword, leading me to a better and obvious one.

Just because I mention the idea of someone trying something, does not force someone to shout against it. I will go search for a rule against shouting here. I think I figured out how, but all that bold, caps-lock, font stuff seems hardly worth wasting my time.
Just as posts that relate in no way to Linux seem hardly worth the time posting, on a Linux forum.
Quote:
I bet there is a rule against replying without fully reading a post: I never said RUN Linux on iPad, and my 2nd picture of telnet clearly showed my login, to try Linux.
Read your post fully, thanks, which is why it was clearly an iPad (and NOT Linux) issue. I knew full well what you were trying, and where.
Quote:
Several months of reading here gives me the feeling that trying to run linux has a 50-50 chance of wiping out ones computer! I don't want to pick a fight with that feeling, so please don't ...I will also go search for a rule against one picking fights with their replys.
Loading an operating system will obviously run the 'risk' of wiping out a computer, since a typical step in ANY installation (Windows, Mac, Linux, Solaris, etc., etc.), is formatting the disk(s) involved. If you have limited computer experience to start with, then you're far more likely to cause damage. Asking a friend who DOES know about such things to walk you through it is a far better option. And see your other post, where you were given things to try. And if you have really spent MONTHS researching this, you should have a far better idea about what to do and how to do it safely by now.
Quote:
Thank you all. This bumpy ride is still fun. Signed, child ...to quote namecalling in ignored post #11
Again, if you act like a child with comments like this, you'll be called one. Ignore all you want...doesn't change the facts that you were given advice and help, and chose to ignore it, because you didn't like bold or caps or WHATEVER.