LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
ajaygarg

Distribution: Fedora

Rep: Reputation: 0
How to link sound-device names to the sound-driver?

Hi all.

I have actually two questions ::

a)
How can one get the know the sound-device name used by a particular sound-driver?

For eg., there are multiple entries in "/dev/snd" "virtual" filesystem on my machine; however, I am not sure as to which device-file is used by which driver?

I guess, there would be a way to do this via gstreamer-api; however, I am not sure. Doing it via a shell-script would be awesome

b)
Secondly, (more importantly), how can one "programmatically" find out as to which sound-device is functional?

I will take an example here ::

When I try "gst-launch filesrc location=/path/to/mp3 ! mad ! pulsesink", I am able to play the mp3 fine on one machine, but not on another, even though doing "pulseaudio --check" on both machines, gives "0" as the exit status.

So, in summary, I would like to know as to which all sound-device(s) is(are) functional, and then accordingly use the corresponding sound-driver(s) in my application.

Will be grateful for a reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay

Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
jv2112

Distribution: Arch Linux

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
To list what is active :

lsmod --> Shows the modules

lspci ---> will list the sound card.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Instal...ndo_MP3_plugin

However it sounds like you are missing a plugin or codec. I would dig a little on this site to be sure.