LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Laptop and Netbook
User Name
Password
Linux - Laptop and Netbook Having a problem installing or configuring Linux on your laptop? Need help running Linux on your netbook? This forum is for you. This forum is for any topics relating to Linux and either traditional laptops or netbooks (such as the Asus EEE PC, Everex CloudBook or MSI Wind).

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #31
LuisC-SM
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu, SLED 10

Rep: Reputation: 15

YAW.

By the way, I just wrote a howto for toshiba P100/105 series users on how to fix ACPI and get the most of your CONEXANT codec here:
Code:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2642299#post2642299
Regards

Luis C. Suárez

Old 03-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #32
Slack-A-Holic
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Slackware 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Still having issue

i did all that and still i have no sound and when i run alsamixer i only have a master volume control

Old 03-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #33
LuisC-SM
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack-A-Holic
i did all that and still i have no sound and when i run alsamixer i only have a master volume control
You did all .. what? (PLS, be a little more specific), what kind of laptop do u have?, which distribution are u working on? (I can ask u much more things but I sure have no idea on your specific problem).
FYI, ALSA driver is now on version 1.0.14rc3 and has got lots of enhancements and bug fixes.

Regards

Luis Suárez

PS. You should try to post some info about your laptop specs, brand and model before making a complain so people can really help u. as well as your dmesg file so people here can give u some answers and hints. In other workds to be helpfull!!!

Maybe your problem is already fixed here

Last edited by LuisC-SM; 03-10-2007 at 11:42 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #34
malar
LQ Newbie

Low Volume after update

Has anyone noticed extremely low volume after this update. I can barely hear sound coming from my speakers, and the PCM is all the way up in KMix and alsamixer.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #35
exvor

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS, Debian,Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slack-A-Holic
I had this issue too. From what I gather they are still working on the latest revision of this driver and the incorporated alsa drivers that are in the kernel are not up to date with the latest alsa. You need to grab a snapshot of the driver from the alsa site and compile it yourself. I have a HP pavillion dv1000 that uses the Intel ICH7 chip set and all I had was a master volume when I tried to use alsa as well. I compiled the latest snapshot and this worked to give me 2 pcm and a master. Note tho that its not perfect sound no where near the quality that you get from windows but at least its not a whisper anymore like it was before.

I have yet to try the ACPI stuff mentioned here tho and this might do alot to clear up the sound but im not sure till I try it out.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Tim Sharitt
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.jupiter
does this suggestion work with with Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04) sound card? (result of lspci).
i have problem with sound since i installed kde.
before kde i had sound in gnome, but now i have sound only through headset,
both in gnome and kde.
i have installed all of alsa on my ubuntu dapper and i want to enable sound through the laptop speakers.
the laptop i'm running dapper is an hp pavilion dv4324.
I had the same problem with the same hardware. The solution was to disable the external amplifier in alsamixer.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #37
exvor

Distribution: Gentoo, LFS, Debian,Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 87
Sound only in headphones issue is also resolved with the latest release of the alsa drivers.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #38
adam_blackice

Distribution: Ubuntu 7.04 , SLED 10 , Fedora , RHEL 5

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 32
thanx for all

this solution work for the "lastest" driver of alsa

about the low sound after making this how to ! i guess it will be from audio control just raise the the sound and it works fine

Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #39
xadist
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Gentoo

I am also using an intel hda card and I cannot get my sound working. I have tried what you listed in the initial post to no avail. I am running gentoo on a sony vaio laptop and I can get sound to work using a kanotix live cd. My alsasound starts without errors but alsamixer is missing the pcm and master bars. Any help would be appreciated.

-- Zac

P.S. If I haven't given enough information I apologize in advance and will offer anything else you find necessary upon request

Last edited by xadist; 03-25-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #40
Zoandar
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC-SM
Tnx for your answear.

The real problem on Toshiba Laptops P100/105 series, is a buggy BIOS Toshiba will not fix (AFAIC). However, there is a solution (workaround) for this given in Gentoo forums (search ACPI problems).

For SLED 10 users seems to be very easy to fix this problem as far as all the tools are included in the distribution. Anyhow, SLED 10 uses a very old ALSA driver and the most recent 1.0.14rc2 has the fix for CONEXANT chips (ICH7 family), so now I can say that my laptop works very well after fixing the BIOS and applying the latest patch to ALSA 1.0.14rc2 driver just FYI.

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

EDIT: For Ubuntu Edgy users (with toshiba P100/105 series) the only way to have sound is by modifying the BIOS at initrd AFAIK or by disabling ACPI with its consequences.
Hi, I am a total newb, and am running Ubuntu 6.10 freshly installed off a LiveCD ISO download on an HP DV1000 notebook -- without sound, of course.

I am wondering if your mention of modifying the BIOS might help me? If so, can you give me some idea whether I need to edit the BIOS before Linux loads, or is there something from within Ubuntu I need to do? I keep looking for something more MS-oriented, like a Control Panel, but so far the things I have tried have all had to be entered into a Terminal Window as command syntax. If there is a GUI-based interface for making these adjustments, I'd like to know about it.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Regards,

Larry

Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #41
Zoandar
LQ Newbie

Oh, I should have mentioned that according to the information I have gleaned so far, the notebook has an Intel ICH6 audio chip. I also have run alsamixer and made sure nothing was muted. I haven't tried a headset, though. I'll have to do that.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #42
LuisC-SM
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar
Hi, I am a total newb, and am running Ubuntu 6.10 freshly installed off a LiveCD ISO download on an HP DV1000 notebook -- without sound, of course.

I am wondering if your mention of modifying the BIOS might help me? If so, can you give me some idea whether I need to edit the BIOS before Linux loads, or is there something from within Ubuntu I need to do? I keep looking for something more MS-oriented, like a Control Panel, but so far the things I have tried have all had to be entered into a Terminal Window as command syntax. If there is a GUI-based interface for making these adjustments, I'd like to know about it.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Regards,

Larry
All what I mentioned, was intended for the toshiba laptops. AFAIK, there are some issues with certain HP models but I also know there is a workaround or solution someplace.

Modifyin' the ACPI is not an easy task. Requires a little knowledge in the command line. I really don't think you will find any kind of GUI for fixing these issues unfortunatelly all computer manufacters make their models to work with MS Window$ (Except for IBM Lenovo).
One more thing, you have a ICH6 family chip and I have no idea if this chip is in the same situation as the ICH7 however, I'v read someplace that this chip was totally supported in the alsa driver v1.0,14rc.

I'm sorry I cannot be of any more help.

Best Regards
Luis C. Suárez

EDIT. I believe SLED 10 has a better approach to fix these issues with less effort than Ubuntu. I strongly suggest u to give it a try with SLED 10

Last edited by LuisC-SM; 03-28-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #43
xol5000
LQ Newbie

Hey, all,
I tried to use ALSA driver 1.0.3 to try to install the hda-intel. But I got the following error, I tried to do it with 1.0.9 before, and a similar error occurred. please help, here's the message i got:
checking for vmalloc_to_page... "no"
checking for old kmod... "no"
checking for PDE... "no"
checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... "no"
checking for tty->count is the atomic type... "no"
checking for driver version... 1.0.3
checking for sequencer support... yes
checking for OSS/Free emulation... yes
checking for RTC callback support in kernel... "no"
checking for USB support... "no"
checking for USB module support... "no"
checking for kernel PCMCIA
checking for PCMCIA support... "no"
checking for PCMCIA module support... "no"
checking for PC9800 support in kernel... "no"
checking for which soundcards to compile driver for... Unknown soundcard hda-intel, exiting!

Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 AM   #44
Zoandar
LQ Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC-SM
All what I mentioned, was intended for the toshiba laptops. AFAIK, there are some issues with certain HP models but I also know there is a workaround or solution someplace.

Modifyin' the ACPI is not an easy task. Requires a little knowledge in the command line. I really don't think you will find any kind of GUI for fixing these issues unfortunatelly all computer manufacters make their models to work with MS Window$ (Except for IBM Lenovo).
One more thing, you have a ICH6 family chip and I have no idea if this chip is in the same situation as the ICH7 however, I'v read someplace that this chip was totally supported in the alsa driver v1.0,14rc.

I'm sorry I cannot be of any more help.

Best Regards
Luis C. Suárez

EDIT. I believe SLED 10 has a better approach to fix these issues with less effort than Ubuntu. I strongly suggest u to give it a try with SLED 10
Hi Luis,

Thanks for the suggestion. In the interim, I learned that I actually do have sound on the headphones, just not the speakers. I have read that complaint dozens of times on the forums, so it must be a pretty common hurdle.

I also just learned today that my son ( who just handed me down this notebook) said he had been having some problems with the headphone jack, and had tried to work on it without actually having the right tools. Although it works, he thinks he could have damaged the jack in a way that would short it, making the jack appear to the notebook to have a plug in it all the time. That could disrupt the sound to the speakers full time. So I need to disassemble the notebook and check that out. Once I get done doing that, I'll know more. If I still don't get sound on the speakers, I'll try SLED. ( I have tried OpenSUSE Live DVD in the interim, but had the same situation there, so I rebooted the Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy on the hard drive.)

Regards,

Larry

Old 03-31-2007, 01:35 AM   #45
LuisC-SM
LQ Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xol5000
Hey, all,
I tried to use ALSA driver 1.0.3 to try to install the hda-intel. But I got the following error, I tried to do it with 1.0.9 before, and a similar error occurred.
Why dont you try alsa-driver v1.0.13 instead? I don't know about v1.0.3 but it must be very old for what I can see.

NOTE. version 1.0.3 is older than 1.0.13 which is the last and stable one just FYI.

Regards

Luis

Tags
alsa, ich7, sled