LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Non-*NIX Forums > Programming
User Name
Password
Programming This forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
cdex
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian unstable

Rep: Reputation: 0
additional clipping planes in OpenGL (xorg 7.1.1 + radeon9700)

Hello everyone,

using OpenGL (and C in Linux-Debian) i want to add additional clipping planes to a scene by glClipPlane(GL_CLIP_PLANE0, eqn) and glEnable(GL_CLIP_PLANE0).
The first thing i noticed: nothing is clipped/changed.

Because of this, i tried the example code from the corresponding chapter in the opengl-redbook. I added two lines of info-output to the clippingTest.

This test renders a wireframe sphere and clips three fourth of it away - you should see only the fourth part of the full sphere. I compiled and ran this in windows, there it works as expected (screenshot in windows, screenshot in linux).

Can anyone verify this behaviour ? Now, i'm wondering if my setup is buggy or xorg is buggy or i am buggy.

The info-output in windows (mingw) is
Code:
$ gcc clippingTest.c -o clippingTest  -lglut32 -lopengl32 -lglu32 -lm && ./clippingTest.exe

Maximum count of additional clip-planes: 6
Depth bits: 16
the output in linux is
Code:
$ gcc -lGLU -lGL -lglut -lm clippingTest.c -o clippingTest && ./clippingTest

libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
Maximum count of additional clip-planes: 6
Depth bits: 24
I suspect the above error about 'visual 0x4b' has something to do with it. But i didn't find anything useful regarding clipping in the web.

Can someone tell me, what 'visual 0x4b' is ? (and all the other visuals listed in my xorg.log)

I'm using Debian (unstable) with kernel 2.6.17.6, xorg 7.1.1 and an ati radeon9700 card. The hardware acceleration seems to work (opensource/xorg driver). glxinfo

Little background: The last assignment in my actual computer graphics course was about simulating the perspective transformed canonical viewing volume (cube with extrema [-1,-1,-1] and [1,1,1]) and its clipping on six sides (which is usually done by opengl on the frustum automagically).

Can anyone give me an hint or can tell me someone who can ?

thanks for reading,
cdex.

Last edited by cdex; 12-07-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
riot_nrrrd
LQ Newbie

I'm running Debian on ppc (iBook) with ATI FireGl Te2 graphics card, and I've noticed the same problem. It only appears when DRI is on, though. With 'Option "NoAccel" "true"' in xorg.conf the clipping planes work fine. I think it might be a bug, maybe in the Mesa libraries.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM   #3
riot_nrrrd
LQ Newbie

There is indeed a bug report similar to this filed against Mesa, and it is claimed to have been fixed in 6.5.2, which hasn't made it into Debian yet.

ETA: No, actually it's supposed to have been fixed already in 6.5.1, so maybe this is a different issue.

Last edited by riot_nrrrd; 01-24-2007 at 10:54 AM.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
cdex
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian unstable

Original Poster
Hello riot_nrrrd,
thanks for replying - thought nobody will ever answer

So, we have to wait ... yesterday, i updated my (unstable) packages and got 'only' mesa 6.5.1-0.5

Currently, I think about creating a (debian) bug report ... its supposed to be the 'libgl1-mesa-glx' package (?)

Additionally, a few days ago I found out that glPointSize() has no effect, but this is probably a (radeon-) driver issue
(because of bug 702)

Tags
opengl, radeon