LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
bourbonstreet
LQ Newbie

Distribution: suse 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Wink deleting build and source dirs

hi all,
This is my first post so be gentle..:-)
On deleting the source and build dirs does not the " make -C ld clean" at the end of 5.3 binutils-2.16.1 pass 1 do this? I`m asking because after i was finished with binutils pass 1, i tried removing the source and build dirs and was told they do not exist?
Thanks for all the good advise i`ve found on this board before i attempted this as it has made a lot of the book clearer for a noob like me

Old 11-01-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
Hi,

Quote:
This is my first post so be gentle..:-)
druuna puts on his gentle and assuring face

Quote:
On deleting the source and build dirs does not the " make -C ld clean" at the end of 5.3 binutils-2.16.1 pass 1 do this?
Nope, this command removes all compiled files in the ld subdir, the are rebuild with the next command (make -C ld LIB_PATH=/tools/lib). BTW: This is explained in the on-line documentation.

Quote:
I`m asking because after i was finished with binutils pass 1, i tried removing the source and build dirs and was told they do not exist?
Then you probably did something wrong. I haven't seen any package that removes itself after compiling/installing it and I'm sure that (B)LFS does not use one (if they exist at all).

You don't tell how you did things, so I cannot give you any advise on how to proceed (or start over). I can give you some general info about installing packages (LFS book as base). I've posted this information before, so it could be that this is 'old news' for you:

cd $LFS/sources - this is where all the archives can be found.
tar jxf <some.package>.tar.bz2 - unzip/unpack package.
cd <some.package> - cd to package directory

The book assumes that you have done the above already.

Patching is done here, if needed.
patch -Np1 -i ../<some-package>.patch

For most of the chapters all is done from here, but for some (binutils being one of those) it is needed to create a building dir (the source directory they talk about is the directory you are in at the moment). You do that as follows:

mkdir ../<some.package>-build - create build directory for package.
cd ../<some.package>-build - goto build directory.

After you are done:

cd $LFS/sources - return to sources directory
rm -rf <some.package> - remove the directory for <some.package>

If a <some.package>-build directory was created, you can remove that too:
rm -rf <some.package>-build

Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:16 AM   #3
bourbonstreet
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ah... rm -rf didn`t use the -rf part....i`ll try again..thanks.
its hell being a noob,sometimes..:-)

Last edited by bourbonstreet; 11-01-2006 at 11:17 AM.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
druuna
LQ Veteran

Rep: Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405Reputation: 2405
Hi,

Just some friendly advice: If you really are a linux beginner, building a LFS system is going to be a big challenge. The LFS book assumes a certain level of knowledge and not everything is explained.

On the other hand: If you are willing to spend time finding out why things work the way LFS sets them up, you can learn a lot.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:31 PM   #5
bourbonstreet
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thats why i`m building lfs...not so much to use it as to learn as much about linux as i can.
Right now my linux distro of choice is suse 10.0.I have the patience of an oyster and had 2 20gig partitions on the sata drive not doing anything so...........But who knows i might just like it enough.Besides i like a challenge...:-)

Thanks that did the trick

Last edited by bourbonstreet; 11-02-2006 at 08:44 AM.