LinuxQuestions.org
Visit the LQ Articles and Editorials section
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Red Hat
User Name
Password
Red Hat This forum is for the discussion of Red Hat Linux.

Notices

Reply
 
LinkBack Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2004, 05:28 AM   #1
xhx321
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Posts: 7

Rep: Reputation: 0
Error In Rsh Connection, poll:protocol failure in circuit set


I wanted to setup the rsh service. But there is some problem.
the host name with rsh service is "netking",and the client name is "xxx"

When I input the command "rsh netking ls" in the netking which surpport the service,the work went well . however while I input the same command in the client ,the terminator showed the tips like :
rsh netking ls
pollrotocol failure in circuit set

Now I list the hosts and hosts.equiv in /etc
hosts:
127.0.0.1 netking
211.111.12.63 xxx

hosts.equiv:
netking
xxx

What's wrong with my system?
By the way ,my system is redhat9.0.
 
Old 04-18-2004, 06:32 AM   #2
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=19017
Especiallyt the last reply by fitterhappier.

Other sources also mention permission problems.

Feed your searchengine with the following and you get some hits:
rsh "protocol failure in circuit setup"

Hope this helps.
 
Old 04-18-2004, 11:08 PM   #3
xhx321
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
thanks a lot to the upstairs in advance!
I've read the link you introduced to me and done by fitterhappier's method.
but it doesn't work.
In rsh's work,there's something I still not sure!
Firstly , is there neccesary to add a same username in both the server and the client .
Secondly, when i input the comannd "rsh netking" in the client,the terminator showed the tips saying "passwd",then i try the server's root and a normal user's passwd ,but they didn't work, and the third time,the terminator ask me to input a username ,and i
have just done follow that ,finally the connection does work. In one word ,i can't rsh the server directely.It need input passwd. Is there something inproper with the server's
firewall or other things? If is firewall, how can i modify the firewall's setup?
 
Old 04-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #4
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Firstly , is there neccesary to add a same username in both the server and the client .
No it's not. The -l <username> option can be used. Take a look at the manpage for more details.

If you omit the -l <username> part, rsh uses the name of the user executing the rsh command to execute the command on the other side. If that user does not excists, an error will occur. In this case you have to use the -l <username> option.

Quote:
Secondly, when i input the comannd "rsh netking" in the client,the terminator showed the tips saying "passwd",then i try the server's root and a normal user's passwd ,but they didn't work, and the third time,the terminator ask me to input a username ,and i have just done follow that ,finally the connection does work. In one word ,i can't rsh the server directely.It need input passwd. Is there something inproper with the server's firewall or other things? If is firewall, how can i modify the firewall's setup?
Before the command is remotely executed you need to give the appropriate password (the one for the remote user). This is normal behaviour. However, there are ways to automate this (I'm not going into that atm).

I'm don't think that the firewall is causing this.

Hope this helps.
 
Old 04-19-2004, 07:15 PM   #5
xhx321
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Posts: 7

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by druuna
No it's not. The -l <username> option can be used. Take a look at the manpage for more details.

If you omit the -l <username> part, rsh uses the name of the user executing the rsh command to execute the command on the other side. If that user does not excists, an error will occur. In this case you have to use the -l <username> option.
I thinke you're right .But when i created a same username in the client and input the command "rsh netking pwd",it shouted at me the same tips.After that used "rsh netking"(of course i had used the same username to get in the client on the client side),and the same
situation appeared.

Quote:
Originally posted by druuna

Before the command is remotely executed you need to give the appropriate password (the one for the remote user). This is normal behaviour. However, there are ways to automate this (I'm not going into that atm).
I'm don't think that the firewall is causing this.
Sorry for my poor english, i can't understand your words "(I'm not going into that atm)".
And i wanted to take a try in this way.But i couldn't make it work by "setup" on the terminator.when i changed the firewall's setup , the next time i got in, everything was recoveried.In fact,i am setting the MPI's enviorament.From the http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/docs/faq.htm
i got the idea of shutting down my firewall.
but till now ,i can't shut down it yet.
i feel really hopeless.
Any way, thanks a lot of you. Druuna!
 
Old 04-20-2004, 12:06 AM   #6
druuna
LQ Veteran
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,532
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371Reputation: 2371
Quote:
Sorry for my poor english, i can't understand your words "(I'm not going into that atm)".
Sorry for the abbreviation. atm = at the moment.
I'm was just saying that it's a bit much to explain what you need to do to set it up without a password. You first need to get this running the way it should

Quote:
And i wanted to take a try in this way.But i couldn't make it work by "setup" on the terminator.when i changed the firewall's setup , the next time i got in, everything was recoveried.In fact,i am setting the MPI's enviorament.From the http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/docs/faq.htm i got the idea of shutting down my firewall.but till now ,i can't shut down it yet. i feel really hopeless.
I'm not familiar with MPI(CH), so I cannot help you with that.
It would be a good idea to shut down thw firewall and see if rsh is working. If it does, you know that the firewall is the cause of your problem.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rsh error: protocol failure in circuit setup Andrea Linux - Networking 5 09-17-2009 01:15 PM
poll: protocl failure in circuit setup grrrr mri Linux - Networking 0 09-18-2004 07:53 PM
rsh--- poll:protocol failure in circuit setup" error haoscar Linux - Networking 9 07-25-2004 05:34 PM
rsh : poll: protocol failure in circuit setup haoscar Linux - Software 0 07-20-2004 08:49 PM
Error In Rsh Connection, poll:protocol failure in circuit set xhx321 Linux - Networking 1 04-18-2004 06:34 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Main Menu
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
identi.ca: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration