ProgrammingThis forum is for all programming questions.
The question does not have to be directly related to Linux and any language is fair game.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
I have a home made log file that contains sets of filenames of text files and associated notes,
I need to process this file in the following manner:
1) copy a contiguous selected part of it to a new file
(can be done manually with copy and paste up to here)
2) select from this new file the associated notes and filename sets one after the other
3) leave as or change or remove or add to notes and/or to file of "filename" selected in 2)
4) record type of changes made in 3) + filename into a new log file
5) save new files modified in 3)
6) append file created in 4) at the end of my home made log file
I use the emacs editor.
my main objectives are to:
1) avoid typing at the keyboard as much as possible to avoid mistakes
options (in 3)) can be implemented.
If you don't mind writing a server side script to achieve this (you can use a database to store the log) you can learn MySQL and PHP. They are both very easy to learn and is very useful for developing apps with web interfaces.