So a few years ago, i tried Mandrake. Fiddled around, pointed and clicked. Not much success, obviously! So i gave up on it and left it for the geeks.
A few monthes back, i was offered some hardware cheap. Combined with spare parts i already had on hand, i realized i could built myself a nice like dual PII 450 for less than $100. But what the hell could i do with it? Well...how about a Linux MP3 server for my LAN?
With that in mind, i was determined to get Samba (whatever that was) to run and dish out tunes for my Windows boxes.
Fast forward to present day:
- RH9 is my desktop now. i only use Windows for gaming. Anytime i sit down with IE, i'm always hitting Ctrl+T and trying to open new tabs.
- i've got Samba running tight and smooth. Movies, music..nearly all personal files are served from the 240gb RH9 rig.
- i've got OpenGL running.
- i've got Seti cron'd and crunching.
- i'm running Knoppix and DSL on every computer i can get my hands on, just to see how well they configure themselves.
- i'm learning more and more about Linux in general and operating from a shell as i fiddle with Gentoo on another spare PC. (Compiling Xfree as we speak.)
There's not enough hours in the day!